Oh So Many Explanations

"Well. Where is he? The sleeping beauty." Ginny grinned when Hermione rejoined the group of Weasley's in their main parlor. All eyes turned to Hermione. Noticeably alone. "Expect him to look quite beautiful after all this sleep."

Ron chuckled. "Yeah, not any less foul I'll bet. Two sickles he curses at least one of us."

"Five sickles that it's you," Fred added with a cheeky grin.

"I'll take that," Harry said. He dug into his pocket and flashed the coins.

"Hey!" Ron crossed his arms. "Thought you were my mate."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "He's not an idiot. He knows a sure thing when he sees it."

The happy couple rubbed their noses together, much to everyone's disgust, except Hermione, whose insides ached for her own half to return to her side for pleasant little comforts. His magic was a delirious drug. Not just a comfort during any time she felt the waves of uncertainty roll forward, but a high that curled her toes deep into her shoes.

Oh, Draco. Why did he leave?

She pondered of where he might have found himself at the very moment when the room fell very still. It was not common for the Burrow. Several sets of eyes watched her, again, like she'd just screamed out her lungs in the center of the room.

"Sorry?" She blushed.

"Where is the wizard then?" Ron groaned. "Might as well get this over with."

Hermione sighed. "Oh. Right. He popped out for a minute. Won't be long though."

"Where'd he pop off to?"

"I'm not sure," she answered truthfully.

Amongst the savory sweet delicious smells of Christmas and the makings of her magical family, Hermione felt loneliness creep up her spine as an obvious python of depression. She never felt like that before. Not with the Weasleys. It was impossible to feel alone when they all resided on top one another in the cozy Burrow.

George's girlfriend was there, as well as Percy and his own girlfriend. The house was jammed packed fuller than usual. Smiling face against smiling face. Gifts all around a puffy evergreen tree sprinkled with popcorn garland, reflective ornaments (previous gifts from Hermione to Arthur since they were Muggle decorations), a shiny yellow star on top, and branches littered with white snow. Enchanted reindeer flew circles. Little Santa's bid merry Christmas as their overloaded sleigh's delivered tiny presents on an imaginary route.

Scents of the holiday were a comfort to her heart. They reminded her of holidays spent at home with her own mother and father. A special occasion for their family game tournaments and movie marathons.

Warmth of past Christmas' only sank so deep.

It was not complete. There was one face missing. An emptiness in her heart that left the moment sullied, gaped open. Lonely.

"Come on, guys. When have you ever seen Malfoy anything short of gorgeous?" Ginny snorted as their faces fell from cheer to question. "He's gone home to make himself presentable. Obviously. He'll be here in ten minutes with a grand entrance fit for a prince, looking like a prince's very naughty twin."

That seemed to appease the crowd. Even Hermione's spirits were lifted.

"It's evil twin, Gin."

"Not in my fantasy, it's not."

Of course it wasn't. Hermione rolled her eyes and allowed her friend's embarrassed boyfriend to whisper hurriedly, which made Ginny gawfed even harder.