Others

Hermione was one of the first few to arrive in the greenhouses. Brilliant afternoon light shined in through the glass windows in a slowly disappearing sun. Soon enough, October would bring frosted nights and weather only fit for a densely furred beaver. Snow, too. It would come in the blink of an eye. Against a Scottish winter wind, a warming charm did little to protect from their sting needy pull that tried to push people over if they were in an open space.

It was the last time she was going to wear a skirt. The castle was too cold for it anymore. Her kneecaps were a blueish purple as she stood waiting for her other classmates.

Theo Nott strolled through the doors first. He greeted her with a polite smile as he walked back to his desk.

Susan and Padma walked in together, lost in a chat. Neither noticed Hermione standing there with a hopeful look on her face. Some interaction. She needed someone new to take her mind off the mess of her life.

The last thing she needed to remember was that she was not in control of herself. In fact, she was almost incredibly sure she was cursed to do the bidding of another wizard's wishing. Like a being of stronger magic operated her limbs back to his arms, pleased with his scent and eager to return any pleasure right back.

Her latest stunt was a series of Malfoy and her in compromising positions that were not Ministry approved. Catching him off guard with a good suck was much more thrilling than she'd been led to believe from Ginny. She enjoyed the way he squirmed as she zipped down his fly, licking her lips. He grew tight at the mere slap of her tongue.

No, Hermione, no. Don't think about him during class. Dribbling on the dirt floor of the green house would be far more mortifying than anything she could imagine.

She took a deep breath and focused back to the task at hand. The earthy scent of dirt, growing life all around. A few insects buzzed. One flew over her ear. So close, she thought it'd flown into her ear.

Hermione shook her head. Something else. Something not terrifying.

In her head, she started to draft the letter to Ron. There was little chance she'd send it, but she wanted it perfectly composed if it was needed.

It was drafted to her liking when the last of the students walked in and class began. Most of it was lecture, and an assignment of scroll due by the next class. It was easily done. Hermione had half of it scripted in mind before she'd picked up her quill.

Neville's face grew longer the more he looked down at the assignment. The puffy pink of his lips fell exceptionally far from his mouth. So disappointed. He was like that on non-hands-on days. Not that he was permitted to tend to the plants any time he wanted. Just about every plant in the greenhouse had had Neville's undivided attention for a bit.

Still, his despair was clear.

Hermione touched his hand with sympathy. "At least you've still got your side project."

A shrill lightheaded rush gave her a slight stirring nausea. She forced herself to smile at her friend and proceed through.

"Yeah, you're right." The wizard turned back down to his work.

They both worked silently for the rest of the class completely focused on their scrolls. The scratching of quills against parchment was the only sound throughout the greenhouses, apart from the occasional startling screech of a Mandrake cries from a greenhouse nearby. Older students and all experienced with Mandrakes, they kept to their work without an upward glance.

Professor Sprout dismissed the class to the rest of their day with a flourish of her wand. Pink buds of flowers suddenly bloomed wide, giving a beautiful exit out to the cooler winds of the Hogwarts grounds.