•13•

A/N
I'm gonna update twice today to make up for Hoe long it's been since I posted ♥️
—————

Sunday used to be my favorite day, but now it was Saturday. Saturday was the day Spencer was off the most. Sundays too, but that day just meant work tomorrow. Saturdays were for us.

On this particular Saturday we were meeting up at our favorite cafe. I ended up arriving before Spencer, so I got us a table. I order the drink that I knew he wanted.

I reached into my purse to grab the paperback book I'd been reading. It was Spencer's copy of Swann's Way by Marcel Proust. He had given it to me as a gift and written a sweet note in the inside cover.

"Grace?" I looked up and saw Atticus with his kids.

"Hey!" I closed my book as they approached my table.

"You guys remember Grace, right? From daddy's job?" The kids nodded. I smiled at them. "What're you doing here?"

"I'm waiting for Spencer. We're having brunch and then going to a movie."

"That's nice."

"What about you guys?"

"Lily has a dance recital on Wednesday so I'm dropping her off at rehearsal. We were just getting some food before that."

"Fun!"

"Hey." I turned around and saw Spencer reaching our table. "Nice to see you again, Atticus."

"You too, Spencer." He returned his attention to me. "We should get going. Enjoy your day!"

"Thanks, you too! Bye guys!" They walked past us and out the door.

Spencer and leaned down to kiss me before taking a seat across from me. "What're you reading?"

I held the book up so he could see the cover. He smiled and I swore a light blush appeared.

"What do you think of it so far?"

"I like it!"

He narrowed his gaze. "Do you really?"

"I do. Really."

"I'm glad," he said, his features softening. "When you're finished I'll get you volume 2."

"How many are there again?"

"Seven."

"Right."

Our waiter returned with our drinks. Spencer thanked me for ordering and said his was perfect. A few minutes later we ordered our food and talked more about the book as we waited.

~

"Hey." My boyfriends voice came in a hushed tone through the phone.

"Hi! What's up, Spence. Is everything alright?" I tucked the phone between my ear and my shoulder as I finished folding my laundry.

"Yeah everything is okay. We have a new case."

"Ah okay. Where are you off to?"

"The case is in Maryland."

That made my stomach twist. "Wow. That's close."

"I know." He paused. I could hear people talking in the background. I assumed he was at the office. "Please be safe, okay? I know it's Maryland and not Virginia, but you never know."

"I know, Spence. I'll be careful. I'm just going to the store to pick up some food and then I'll be home for basically the entire weekend."

"Okay."

"I'll text you and let you know if anything happens."

"Alright, Grace. I should go." The talking in the background on his end was getting louder. "Morgan is calling for me."

"Okay. Be safe, Spencer."

"Always, Gracie." he whispered. "Goodbye."