•5•

One Saturday night, I went out with a few of my friends from school. They somehow talked me into going to a club. I'd usually never be caught dead in a place like that.

"Come on, Gracie!" my roommate from University, Kimi, begged. "Don't be a buzzkill! At least one drink!" I gave in. I never could say no to her. No one could. I think it was a mix of her southern accent and big, brown eyes. So, I went to a trashy club with Kimi, Josh, Laura, Rose, and Kate.

I got blasted. I had way too much to drink and I didn't really care. I was having fun! After dancing for about 2 hours, we all decided to head back to Kate's apartment to hang out. We all sat around her living room. They started talking about their jobs and significant others.

"Me and Rose are moving in together next week!" Laura announced. We all congratulated them and they kissed. Then, Josh started talking about the girl he had been seeing for a few weeks.

All the talk of relationships kind of made me sad. I realized just how long it had been since my last boyfriend. That was junior year of college. Sure, I'd been on a few one-off dates since then. None of those became anything more, though. I was perpetually single.

"What about you?" I snapped out of my thoughts and realized that Josh was talking to me. "Any boy you fancy?" he asked in a false British accent. I laughed before taking another sip of the water I was holding. If I had been sober, I would've brushed the question off and kept my mouth shut. I knew how my friends could be about my crushes.

But drunk me was ready to spill her guts. "There is this one guy. He comes to the library all the time. Super cute." My friends cooed at my sudden interest.

"Ooooo! What's this mystery guy's name?" Kate asked.

"Spencer." I felt myself smile at just the mention of his name. I sounded like some tween girl gushing about a boy from her math class. It was lame. But drunk me wasn't gonna stop at that. "He's just so perfect. He reads a lot and works a lot. He's always having to run out because he gets a work call. It's like he's a spy or something."

"Have you even talked to him?"

"Yes, I actually have. We even got coffee a few days ago." My friends looked impressed so I quickly corrected myself. "Well, we tried to get coffee. We had only been out for 10 minutes or so when he got a work call. Then, he was off."

"Weird," Kate commented. "And you have no idea what he does?"

"Nope. I just know that he's a doctor. But he could have a doctorate in anything."

"A doctor? He sounds like a good one!" Kimi wiggled her eyebrows. "Are you going to continue pursuing the mysterious doctor?"

"I'd like to! He seems like he might be interested, but I don't know. He's hard to read sometimes. I can't tell if he's just being nice or if he's actually interested."

"I'm sure you'll figure it out!" Josh said matter-of-factually.

-

I was hungover when I woke up the next morning. I was making some tea in the kitchen when there was a knock on the door. I opened it to see my neighbor, Leila. She looked worried. I pushed aside my headache so I could try to help.

"Hey, Leila. What's up?"

"Hi, Grace. When I woke up this morning, my front door was open." My jaw clenched and my blood drained from my face. "I told the super and he said I'm just going crazy. He said I probably just forgot to close it, but I know for a fact that I closed it and locked it."

"Oh, jeez," I said. "That's scary."

"I know. I'm just going around the floor and telling everyone to make sure that they do all of their locks. I don't want anyone getting hurt.

"Was anything taken from your place?"

"Nope. Nothing."

"Well, that's good."

"Yeah. But it's worrying me. Why else would anyone break into my apartment?"