•10•

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" I asked.

"Yes, Gracie. I've got a job set up back home now. Mum and dad know what's been happening. I'll be alright." James sung his backpack over his shoulder.

"Okay. I'll be home for Christmas. I'll see you then. Love you!"

"Love you, too. Thanks for everything."

With that, walked into the line for security. I left the airport and went back to my apartment. Once I was home, I heard my phone start ringing. My screen lit up with a picture of Spencer. I smiled and accepted the call.

"Hey, Spence! What's up?" There was just silence on the other end for a moment. Worry spread through me. "What's wrong?"

"Uh, we just closed up a case. We're on the jet right now." He sounded tired and sad. "It was kind of a rough one. We're gonna be back in town in 10 minutes. Can I come over?"

"Of course," I said. "Any particular reason?"

"I just-" He paused and let out a sigh. "I just need to see you. Thank you." He hung up, leaving me worrying to myself. He never let a case affect him before. Or if he did, he hid it well. I didn't know how he would be once he got to my place.

I looked around and decided to tidy the place up a bit before he got there. I also put my hair up in a loose bun. I had just put the kettle on when he texted me that he was there. I buzzed him into the building and soon there was a knock on the door.

Before I could even say anything, Spencer pulled me into a tight embrace. I smiled and pressed my cheek against his chest. I could hear the way his heart was racing. I pushed him away softly so I could get a good look at him. His face almost brought me to tears. He looked broken. I closed the door behind us and lead him to sit on the couch.

"Do you wanna talk about what happened?" He nodded and I placed a hand on his thigh. "I'm right here, Spence. We're safe. Whatever it was, it's over."

"I know." He held my hand. "The unsub was abducting women from malls, torturing them for a day, and then dumping them on children's playgrounds." I tried to hide the shock I felt. It was still strange for me to hear such horrible things come so casually from him. "But I couldn't focus for the entire case. I couldn't do anything right because I was worried the entire time."

"What were you worried about?"

"Well, the unsub had a type. Women in their 20s and 30s with medium length brown hair, fair skin, and brown eyes." I gulped. "Whenever I saw one of them, I saw you. I couldn't get it out of my head. I knew that we were halfway across the country, but I kept worrying you would show up as another one of those bodies."

"Oh, Spencer." I pressed a kiss to his cheek and slid my arms around his waist. "You don't have to worry about that."

"I know that! Even though I knew you were safe from this guy, a part of me was still worried." His lips fell lightly against the top of my head. "I think I'm always going to be worrying, Grace."

"If it makes you feel any better, I worry about you too." He laughed lightly. It was refreshing. Suddenly the kettle whistled. I stepped out of his grasp and towards the kitchen. "I started some water before you got here. Do you want some tea?" I asked.

He stood from the couch and joined me in the kitchen. He leaned against the counter to see what I was doing. "Why not." I looked at him just long enough to see his smile appear. I turned back to grab two of my favorite mugs. I decided to let him use my TARDIS one because I knew how much he loved it.

I turned to give him his drink. He brought the cup tentatively up to his lips. I did the same. I took his hand to lead him back to the couch.

"Did your team notice the way you were acting?" I continued our conversation as if it never stopped.

"Yeah," Spencer said, sitting back down. "I work with profilers so it's hard to hide anything from them."

"Did you tell them the truth?"

"No." He looked down at the cup in his hands. "I'm sorry."

"Spence, I've told you before that I don't mind!"

"I know. I just feel like it isn't fair to you."

"Then why are you keeping it a secret?"

He sighed. "I've never had anything like this before. Like you and me. I know my team and how they'd react. They'd never leave me alone about it."

I nodded along as he spoke. The way he said "like you and me" made my heart flutter. I let one of my hands raise to run through Spencer's hair. He took a drink from his mug.

"I understand, Spence. You can choose to tell them whenever you want." I drank more of my tea. "What did you tell them instead?"

"I said that I hadn't been sleeping well. I blamed it on my chest pain from that last case."

Two weeks ago Spencer had been shot. He was wearing a bulletproof vest, but it left a nasty bruise on his chest. He didn't even tell me about it. I found out a week later when we were watching a movie at my apartment. I clung to him at a scary part and he winced in pain.

After that, I made him promise to tell me if anything happened. I was glad that he actually did tonight. It wouldn't have been good if he had kept this to himself.

"And they believed it?"

"Some did. Hotch and Rossi bought it. Jennifer and Morgan weren't that easy to lie to. They know me too well. They didn't push for the truth, though."

"Well, I'm glad you called me. I've missed you."

"I've missed you, too." He kissed my forehead. "Has James landed in London yet?"

"Not yet. His flight probably just left. He has about 6 hours until he's home."

"Ah. I'm sorry I couldn't see him off. I might call him tomorrow. Or maybe I'll wait until he's settled." Hearing Spencer talk so nicely about my brother felt special. I'd never had a serious enough relationship where I wanted the person to meet any of my family.

"That would be nice," I replied.