Ch 21

Stella's POV

Derek and I were singing along and enjoying our time until..

Until I saw someone crossing the road right in front of us.
"Breaks!!" Derek shouted.
I hit the breaks and the car squeaked to a stop. That was close!

"Oh my god I almost hit someone." I said breathlessly.
I opened the door to rushed to that person. "No wai-" I heard Derek telling me but I ignored him.

I rushed to the boy. And when I saw his face I recognized him. It was Liam. But its clear that he was crying. His eyes were puffy and red. It's heartbreaking.

"Liam? You okay?" I asked him.
He tried to answer me but his lips started to quiver, he couldn't hold back the tears. I hugged him instantly.

"Oh, no. it's okay. I'm sure everything's gonna be okay" I told him.
*

DEREK'S POV

Stella threw her arms around that well dressed kid and blood started boiling in me. He seemed her age. I could hear her whispering words of comfort to, who she called, 'Liam'. I stayed in the car watching them in front of the car's headlights hugging.

"Umm..thank you Stella" Liam told her after he had calmed down. They parted and I let out a breath that I didn't realise I was holding in. I'm so pissed at Liam right now. But I can't let either of them notice.

She came to my open window looking at me.
"Derek can you drive please?" She asked. I immediately nodded. I couldn't refuse a thing she asks. I jumped to the driver seat. And she went back to Liam.

"C'mon let us give you a ride." She told him. What!! I hate this kid even more now.

Stella had her hand on Liam's back heading towards the jeep. Liam jumped in the back seat and Stella followed him. She's sitting next to him!?

"Liam, this is my friend Derek. Derek, Liam." She introduced us.
I just nodded. I didn't feel like saying 'hello'.

"Is everything okay Liam?" She asked. I could see her face in the rear view mirror. She seemed concerned. She cared for him. Great!

"Uhm yeah. I'm fine. It's just Jason." Liam's voice croaked.

My teeth gritted and fists clenched on the steering wheel at the sound of that name.
I heard Stella's heartbeats pick up speed.

"W-what's wr-wrong did he h-hurt you?" She asked. She is, clearly, afraid of that jerk. I shouldn't have let him live.

"Well, nothing new really. He always manages to hurt me somehow. There's this girl I like but my brother slept with her just earlier at the party. He has everybody falling for him" Liam explained. Did he just say 'brother'?

"Liam, is j-Jason your br-brother?" She seemed shocked.

"Unfortunately.. I guess you met him?" Liam answered. I don't want her to hang out with this kid. No way. I was staring at Stella in the rear view mirror, she looked at me and our eyes locked for a moment. I looked away at the road. I didn't want her to notice that I'm pissed.

"Something like that" Stella replied.

The rest of the ride was kinda quiet. Liam gave me directions to where he's going.

"Thank you Stella . Hey give me your phone for a sec" he took her phone, dialled something
"Here, that's my number. Call me whenever you wanted to hang out" he smiled and waved goodbye.

I immediately sped up. I heard Stella stumbling in the backseat.
"Der- slow down!" She shouted.

What the hell am I doing here? Stella got Liam. He is perfect for her. He's young, attractive. No wonder she likes him.

I have to blow off steam I need to go for a run or something I don't wanna take it out on her. I want to drop her off as fast as I could and just leave.
*

Stella's POV

Derek is driving super fast. I could tell he's pissed but I have no idea why. My heart is pounding in my chest. I hate driving fast. All I'm thinking is that we're going to crash! I kept yelling "please stop!" to him but he wont listen.

I decided to stop shouting at him and just pray to reach our destination safely. I could see his eyes from the rear view mirror and they are full of rage. What's gotten into him?

We reached the dorm parking and he parked the car without even bothering to slow down. Some people are yelling at us in annoyance. We came to a full stop and he got out and slammed the door behind him. What the..?

I got out. "Derek-"
I look around me but he's no where to be found. He was just here a second ago!
"Derek?" I call again.

But nothing. He was gone.
I saw that he left the keys in the car. I locked it and headed to my room. It's been a long night. I hope I see Derek again...