Chapter 2: Lunch and Phone Calls

Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were in the living room, talking. The kids were upstairs playing. I envied them for not having to sit through the dull chatter that I would. I put my helmet on the table at the entrance as we walked inside and hung my jacket on the hook by the wall.

I stepped into the living room and was greeted by a chorus of 'hello's. I waved and flopped down on the couch, enduring another thirty minutes of beyond-boring chitchat. I almost sighed in relief when the kids came in complaining they were hungry.

We sat down and ate lunch. A very fancy lunch. Harry didn't downplay magic abilities. At all. Roast turkey, goose, duck, chicken, and who knows what else. Mashed potatoes, green beans, and fifty other things I didn't recognize. My brother worked in very different ways than I did. I avoided using magic all I could, in an attempt to appear normal. Harry, on the other hand, used magic every chance he got.

After lunch, which I barely ate, the kids left to go play again, and mindless gossip started up again. Thankfully, about five minutes into the conversation, my phone rang.

"Excuse me. I have to take this." I honestly didn't even know who it was, I just wanted to escape the mundane chatter.

I'll bet it's Malfoy. Ron's thoughts echoed venomously behind me.

I stepped onto Harry's front porch and answered the call.

"Miss Potter." It was my boss.

"We've been over this. It's just Vivian. Miss Potter is what people call my sister-in-law." I corrected.

"Of course, Vivian. I know you requested today off, but-" he started.

"Let me guess." I interrupted. "Either a) you don't have enough agents today, and you need me to come in and/or b) you don't trust any of the agents that are there to do this assignment that you're going to give me." Harry chose that exact moment to join me. "Code Purple." I added just under my breath, just loud enough for my boss to hear without Harry hearing.

"Right." My boss replied, keeping it vague like code purple required. "So can you come in?"

"I mean, does it have to be right now? I'm kind of at lunch with my family." I tried to sound like I was complaining like I knew most adults would.

"I know. I hate to pull you away from that, but we're just swamped. We need you here, Vivian."

"Okay." I sighed. "I'm on my way."

"Thanks, Vivian." he replied cheerfully. "Take the car." he added in a whisper.

"Yes sir. I'll be there in forty-five minutes."

"Farewell."

"Farewell."

As soon as I'd hung up, Harry started questioning me. "Who was that?"

"My boss."

"Really?"

"Truely."

"Ok. I believe you. What did he want?"

"He needs me to go in.I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I just wish you could stay. I feel like I never see you anymore." he made a face and I immediately regretted having to leave.

"I know. I'm sorry." I hugged him. "We'll arrange something this weekend and I'll make sure I'm not called in. Kay?"

Harry's face lit up like a child's on Christmas. "Promise?"

"Promise." I smiled, reaching up to ruffle his hair. I smiled as he hugged me.

I stepped inside and grabbed my helmet and jacket. "Sorry, guys. That was my boss. I'll see you later." Several sarcastic thoughts echoed behind me as I closed the door behind me. I took a deep breath before jogging to my motorcycle. I threw my leg over and slipped on my jacket and helmet.

As I sped home to switch vehicles, I wondered what my mission would be. I guess I would just have to wait and see. I pulled into my open air garage, ran inside, changed, and hopped into my car. I pressed a few hidden buttons and the interior of the car changed. My GPS screen was my communicator. The back row of seats flipped over so I could grab some of my gadgets. My mirrors lit up with various lights, some of them evil detectors and whatnot, others, I would never understand the purpose of. It was great having all of this in my car. And no one would never know. Everything was very cleverly hidden My car itself was very unassuming, a blue 2003 Volkswagen Passat W8 4Motion (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bmBV544IeGQ/maxresdefault.jpg). No one would suspect that it had all of this tech inside. Why do I have all this tech? Okay. Truth is, I'm a secret agent. Yeah. One of those kick-butt people that creams the bad guys before anyone even realizes what's happening. I wouldn't have it any other way. Of course, this was totally legal too. I worked with the Ministry of Magic. It was just awkward when Harry or Ron saw me at work.

"Hey, Vivian. What are you doing here?"

"Just coming to visit you."

"Awesome, but why were you in the basement?"

"Someone told me you were down there."

"Ok..."

Yeah. I was going to need some new excuses soon. Anyways, I'm a secret agent. Cool gadgets and all. It was fun, but I didn't like having to keep secrets from my family, especially Harry.

I pulled into the parking lot for my office and slipped on the last of my gadgets.

"Hello, Chloe." I greeted, waving to the secretary as I passed her desk.

"Hello, Miss Potter."

"Vivian!" I corrected, calling out over my shoulder.

I walked into my boss's office without knocking. Besides, he was my ex boyfriend, Alastair. It's not like he didn't deserve it.

He looked up from the papers on his desk. "Vivian." He greeted in a flat voice.

"I'm early." I said cheerfully.

He just nodded and looked back at his papers.

"So... My mission?" I asked, perching myself on the edge of his desk.

He glared lightly at me, and leaned back in his seat.I hate it when she does that. he thought, and I had to try to hide my smirk. "We need someone to go check in on Azkaban. We haven't been getting reports from the guards. I need you to check on them." he informed.