thirty

Various locations
all within five klicks of one another

━━━━

AMELIA WOKE up, spitting blood

Her head rang with a fuzziness that blurred the edges of her vision, and her shoulders shook through joint pain as she coughed up the red that stained the earth in front of her. Amelia squinted, her muted groan only intensifying the stabbing in her skull.

Ground ... Solid ground ... Her eyes shot open as she struggled to her knees, the burst of despairing energy cut short by the cutting of cords into her wrists and ankles. I'm alive! But ... where am I?

The realization came as swiftly as the temporary buzz of energy, and she slumped as a dark pit formed in her stomach. Looking swiftly around, over her sweat-stained and curling hair, she recognized the familiar TimePods and mounds that made up the Tanycolagreus nests.

It felt like a vice was slowly crushing her skull. Everything hurt, and Amelia shut her eyes like a toddler throwing a tantrum, squishing back the desire to cry.

Crying won't get you anywhere. Crying won't help —

"You received direct orders," Ichabod scowled, rubbing his chin as if scratching a patch of skin would shoo the problem away

"You received direct orders," Ichabod scowled, rubbing his chin as if scratching a patch of skin would shoo the problem away. The problem that he had to deal with because of the incompetence of others.

"Either recruit the other members of the ERAA mission, or eliminate them entirely. Directly quoted from what I said!" Ichabod could feel the volume in his tone increasing in his chest with his temper — he forcibly shoved the anger away and replaced it with a shocking calm.

Having a businessman for a father had many pros and cons, and things that fitted perfectly between. Learning to retain a poker face in high-stake ventures was one of those middle-ground examples.

"A man who can control his emotions can control the emotions of those around him."

And even though Robert 'Bob' Quillan could not have been counted as a good father, he was an excellent businessman.