Chapter Thirty Five

“Matthew? Are you awake?” I ask as I sit up and run my fingers through my hair. I wince from the pain; I forgot to bring medicine.

        He wraps his arms around my waist and squeezes, giving me a hug. He doesn’t open his eyes or sit up. “I like your new pajamas,” he mumbles sleepily.

        “I like yours, too,” I reply.

        He opens his eyes and looks up at me. “But I’m not wearing any pajamas.”

        I smile. “I know.”

        Matthew finally sits up, now only half covered by the blanket. I stare at his chest.

        “Are you checking me out?” he asks, catching me.

        “So what if I am?” I tease.

        Nicole bursts through the door. “Good morning!” she says cheerfully, before she notices how we look. “Um, need a shirt, Matt?”

        “Maybe some pants, too,” he says before laughing at his own hilarity.

        “Um, that’s a little too much information, buddy,” Nicole says flatly. “Anyway, I wanted to see if you guys wanted to do anything today. You two, me, maybe Liz?”

        “I have to go home before I do anything,” I say. “But sure, that sounds fun.”

        “Matt, are you in?” Nicole asks.

        “I go where she goes.”

        Nicole smiles. “Great! I’ll leave you two alone…” she says on her way out the door.

        “You’re way too confident in the morning,” I say as I get out of bed and pull my dress over my head.

        “You would be, too, after a night like that,” Matthew says with a goofy smile.

        I sigh. “Are you going to be like this every time?”

        “I find it funny how you don’t like to talk about it,” he says, somewhat changing the subject.

        “It’s just...awkward,” I say.

        “How is it awkward?”

        “I don’t know, Matthew, it just is, okay?” I say, somewhat annoyed.

        “Is something wrong?” he asks.

        “No, of course not. I’m just tired and I need to take pain medicine for my ribs.”

        “Oh. I’m sorry, I wish we had some here for you,” he says.

        “It’s not your fault. What are we going to do with Liz and Nicole today?”

        “I don’t know. Maybe go buy you some new lingerie?”

        I roll my eyes. “Can you be serious, please?”

        “Damn, you’re crabby in the morning,” he mumbles under his breath.

        “I can hear you,” I say.

        He rolls his eyes.

        “Why are you acting like this?” I ask.

        “Why are you acting like this?” he counters.