Chapter Thirty Four

“Back so soon?” Nicole asks after I knock on her bedroom window.

        I laugh. “Where’s Matthew?”

        “Backyard, but he’s not alone,” she says. “You know what? Just go back there. It’ll be fine.”
“Are you sure?” I ask sheepishly.

        “Yeah. He’s just out there with one of the guys. I don’t think it’ll be an issue.”

        “Okay…” I say.

        Liz and I walk around the house and I push the gate open. Walking into the yard, I see Matthew sitting on the porch next to a boy laughing about something. I slowly walk in their direction, and the boy notices me before Matthew does.

        “Who are you?” he demands, standing up.

        “Um…” I say.

        Matthew stands up now, his face lighting up. “Alex! What are you doing here so soon?”

        “You know them?” the boy asks him. “What do you mean so soon?”

        “Relax, Chris,” Matthew says. “This is Alex and Liz.”

        “I don’t care what their names are,” Chris says rudely. “Why are they in our yard?”

        Matthew walks up to me and kisses me. Chris stares with shock.

        “They’re dating, numbnuts,” Liz says, rolling her eyes.

        “Matthew, what the hell?” Chris says.

        “This is Alex, and I love her. This is Liz, her friend.”

        “Is this one for me?” Chris asks of Liz with a smirk.

        “Honey, I’ve got a boyfriend and a baby on the way. Still interested?” Liz says sarcastically.

        “You’re pregnant?” Matthew asks Liz.

        “We’ll talk about it later,” Liz replies.

        “What the hell is going on?” Chris asks with frustration.

        “Okay, okay, calm down, man,” Matthew says. “I met Alex almost two months ago and we started dating. We’ve been sneaking around a little. That’s it.”

        “But…you can’t do that…” Chris says, scratching his head.

        “We know. But we don’t care,” Matthew says, looking at me and smiling. I blush.

        “You two are so freaking adorable!” Liz squeals.

        “Okay, fine, whatever. Why are they here?” Chris asks.

        “She’s going to spend the night. It isn’t the first time, either,” Matthew replies proudly.

        “Well, she’s quite a trophy,” Chris says, eyeing me.

        “Isn’t she?” Matthew laughs. “I shot, and I scored.”

        I glare at Matthew and clear my throat to get his attention.  He looks at me, and his confident expression immediately falters when he sees that I’m mad.

        “Do you always act like an arrogant jerk around your friends?” I ask.

        “Alex, I’m just joking around. You know I don’t think of you like that. I’m sorry. I take it back,” Matthew says sincerely. “I’m incredibly lucky just to have you in my life.”