Chapter 21; baseline

Kia

I skipped school the rest of the week. Practice with Landon went well. All I needed was a little practice.

It's now Monday and I just arrived at school. I parked my car and went to my locker.

When I opened it, a note lettered to me fell to the floor. I bent down and picked it up.

It was from Kai.

It told he understood why I did the things I did.

I read over it a few more times then snapped out my trance and tossed the paper into my locker.

I got my books for first period and went to math.

I took my normal seat near the window and waited for the teacher to begin.

The class was boring as usual. I then made my way to history. I dreaded this everyday I went to school. Of course all my old friends were in here. I'm still sad Maya moves permanently to New York.

I sat in the back. The teacher started talking about the civil rights movement. They did a small debate during class.

I started to get tired. I almost fell asleep during lunch so I decided to skip the rest of my classes. Basketball tryouts start today and I missed all the conditioning sessions. That's been happening a lot more lately. It could be the lack of nutrition or the narcolepsy that runs in my the females in my family.

I went to the roof again and just sat. I intentionally left my cigarettes in the car. I needed a clear mind today.

After a few hours, I went to gym class to use it as a warm up.

We ran the mile and had open gym if you finished. I did.

The bell rang and the announcement came out and called all people trying out to the gym. I just stayed in there and waited for them to start.

Coach Mendes can win and took us outside.

"Ok athletes! As most of you know, My name is Coach Mendes. I'm the girls assistant coach. Coach D will be here on the last day of tryouts. Now, Basketball is my sport. I played in college and played 2 years pro for the Seattle Storms. I know the game and don't want to see it made fun of here today. Boys, your coaches aren't here today but will be here tomorrow. I don't want any disrespect on my court. What you show me today will determine whether I put you in front if the coaches tomorrow. I want your best today.

First I want 4 laps on the track. You have 10 minutes. Let's move!"

I started running with a steady pace. I ran 6 minutes miles on a lazy day.

"4:26! Great job Foster! First one done today. Go inside and grab a drink then start shooting around." She said as I finished my laps.

"Thanks Coach."

I went inside and drank some water then grabbed a ball. I picked out my favorite ball and started shooting. I got all my bearings back with Landon. I went on both sides of the court doing layups. Then free throws and 3 pointers. After 15 minutes everyone went came in. It was just a mile, damn.

"Alright. That running disappointed me. If you do she's under six minutes, grab a drink then a ball and start shooting. Everyone else, line up and give me two suicides." I just kept shooting. There were three other girls and five boys who came to where I was.

One of the boys I knew as Jace came up to me. "How'd you finish so fast? I played track last year and placed 2nd in most 400 meter dash's. You have speed." He dabbed me up. "I've always been a runner. It helps for things like this."

The 9 of us shot around and did some drills while all the others ran. After a little while coach sent a few others with us. The rest kept running.

Now there were 10 girls and and 11 boys out of the 50 something kids who came.

After another 20 minutes, she had everyone play scrimmages.

"Everyone hit the baseline! Get into groups of 6. Mix it up. This will show if you can adapt to playing with any kind of player. You never know who you'll play on the court. Let's go. Pick a team to play and come see me before you start."

"Wanna be on my team?" I asked jace. He said yes. I also picked a girl named Carrie. She's new but can play the game. Then a guy named Kade, he's not the best but is good with ball handling. Then Jay and Jade. Twins who are kinda obsessed with ball. They are either really good or really bad.

We went to a court then did all what coach wanted us to do.

Everyone chose their spot, leaving me post guard. I used to be a post player but I'm not tall. I checked the ball and started the game.

The person on me had good defense but wasn't as fast as me. I got by them and passed the ball. I moved around trying to get open. Jade got the ball and made a shot. We scored.

It went back and forth but ended up being a good game. We won 46 to 20.

Before tryouts ended, I got everyone's number. We made a really good team and us six just clicked.

It was now 8:00 and I was working a extra shift tonight. I took a quick shower in the locker room and put on my work clothes. Before I left, Coach came up to me.

"Foster, can I talk to you for a second?" "Yea that's fine. What's up?"
"I've noticed a few changes with you over these last few weeks. Your here early in the mornings and sometimes late at night. And I've noticed you skipping a few classes each week, can you tell me what's going on?"

I sighed. "Well first, I'm not living at home right now. The last few months were really rough. I was in the hospital because of stuff with my brother. I went through a really bad spot with my older brother Jason,who does the self defense clinics here. I left for two weeks not telling where I was going then came back, went to the hospital again. Things were ok but some family drama was brought back and I went to stay with my mom and I," I paused "I did some things I'm not proud of, at all. I'm smoking and occasionally drinking. It take my kind of things."

Now we were sitting down on a bench in the hallway.

"I became a person they couldn't recognize and that person isn't allowed to live with them. I didn't know who I was. I didn't have anything to live for. I'm living out of my damn car. I have a crappy job that pays exactly minimum wage. Things just aren't good for right now. I met someone who helps keep my mind of things but he doesn't know what's really going on with me. He's the reason I tried out today. I want to be apart of the team so I can be sort of something. I feel so out of place. I can barely afford foo and gas. It's February and it gets as cold as 14 degrees out there. I just," she had pulled me into a hug. I hadn't realized I was crying and had been ranting all that was going on with me. "How about you come home with me tonight. Take a warm bath and have a warm bed to sleep in. I really wish you would've talked to me. Same thing with what happened last year when you got mad at Hayden for telling everyone to stay away from you. I'm always here for you remember that." "I have work at 9:30." "Call in sick. You can go tomorrow or later this week. You'll get through this. I promise. I went through some things in high school as well. I know what you're going through."

We talked a little more before she took me with her to her home. I got some things out my car then we left.

Sorry for the wait.