18. new, faraway lands

Start from the beginning

"Would!" Anne smirked, "Times infinity,"

"What?" Jerry seemed dumbfounded.

"I didn't," Penny whispered to herself, unknowingly drawing the attention of her two companions.

Anne sighed sorrowfully and pulled her friends hand into her lap. Unusually, she didn't say a word and simply let her presence sooth Penny.

Not realizing she had been heard, she looked to Anne before tightening the grip and leaning further into her dear friend.

Jerry decided as well to not ask about what the girl meant, and simply began singing loudly and boisterously a French song. Penny thought it was quite lovely and a nice break from her monotonous thoughts but Anne seemed to disagree as she groaned angrily.

"No singing..." Jerry's voice never even faltered as he continued on, "I mean it,"

Penny felt a small giggle well up in her chest as Jerry simply kept singing.

"I'm serious, Jerry. This is an important journey," Anne tried once more.

A small smirk had joined Jerry's face as he grew louder much to Anne's dismay.

Penny simply began nodding her head along to the tune, trying her utmost to ignore Anne's betrayed expression.

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

The journey to Charlottetown was a long one and it was already mid-afternoon by their arrival.

Sliding from the sleigh, Anne immediately pulled the white box that held her precious dress from the wagon.

"You two wait here, I won't be but a moment," Anne gave a firm nod and moved to enter the dress shop, leaving Penny and Jerry to their own devices.

"Do you know French?" Jerry's accented voice asked gently, turning to Penny who had sat fiddling with her fingers.

"Hm?" Penny looked to him before shaking her head, "Oh, no. I simply enjoyed the tune. I wish I did though, it is such a beautiful language,"

"Oui," Jerry smiled at the complement.

"Oui," Penny replied with a small smile in return.

"You and Anne are very different," Jerry remarked, blowing on his chilled hands.

"I suppose," Penny nodded, "But that is probably why we're friends,"

"Mm," Jerry hummed before adding on, "She is more annoying than you,"

"I've never found her to be annoying," Penny disagreed fondly, "Anne has many traits I'd like to learn from,"

"Perhaps just not that one," Jerry teased gently and Penny couldn't help the small laugh that left her mouth.

"I appreciate the input,"

Anne was suddenly upon them again, but this time red-faced and teary eyed. Moving to sit again with Jerry and Penny, she didn't speak at all.

"Are you alright?" Penny whispered as they began moving again.

"I will be," Anne smiled gently, placing a white envelope into her pocket.

They rode a bit further down the road before Anne called for a stop.

"That's it! Right here,"

Pulling off to the side of the street, Jerry moved to untie the horse he would be auctioning while Anne and Penny moved to unload the back of the wagon.