"So once it had been through court and you'd testified, you transferred here," I said. Finally, I understood. But now that I knew the full story, I was concerned, too. "And this time, you want justice for Ripley."

"I just have to be sure it was suicide. If Kristina did kill her, there's no justice to be had. We can't lock her away. But at least her family would get the truth. I know how hard it is when the truth's missing."

The sad look in his eyes was too much to hold out against. "Fine, I'll fetch that tablet. But don't pull yourself apart over this, okay? The truth could just be what everyone already believes."

"I know."

"Good." I went back to my desk.

There was a knock on the door, and Dixon pushed it open. "Morning, you two. Are you planning on interviewing Ronan again today?"

I straightened up. "Yes, sir. We were just going over our notes."

"I have a feeling you'll be postponing that when I tell you the news I've just received." He crossed his arms over his chest. "But before I give it to you, I want to make this clear: our murderer is in the custody suite."

Now he'd piqued my curiosity. "Have you received evidence against someone else?"

"It's hardly evidence. Early this morning, a man was cautioned for running towards an oncoming tram near Bright Light University. He's a member of staff there, and you might have even spoken with him: Professor Lars Stephenson."

That was Ripley's old music teacher. I exchanged a confused look with Alex. "Yes, sir. But what has that got to do with -- "

Dixon held up his hand. "Let me finish. While he was explaining himself to the officers -- and missing his tram -- he said that he was in a rush to get to the hospital because his daughter had been taken in with pneumonia. His daughter is Mary Daniels."

Shocked silence settled over the office.

"But it doesn't say that on her national profile," I said. "Her father is -- well, a Daniels."

"It seems her mother recorded the man she married as Mary's father. Professor Stephenson left her before the birth."

"That's interesting." I pressed my lips together. "Fathers can feel protective over their biological children even if they've previously had little to do with them. He wanted to see her in hospital. What if he wanted to punish Kristina and Zed for what they put her through at university?" I grabbed my jacket. "We need to find him."

Dixon stood aside with a sigh, and we hurried out of the office. When we reached the station doors, Alex stopped. "Pneumonia? That's a bit sudden."

"Yes," I said. "But we haven't seen her since Zed was shot a few days ago." Deciding the door was high enough, I ducked under it. "That's time enough, and her depression has probably weakened her immune system, which makes her more susceptible."

The door slammed to a stop in the air behind me, and Alex's shoes clicked over the concrete as he caught up. "Did you learn that from Cassia?"

"I am capable of acquiring my own knowledge."

"But did you?"

I scowled. "Fine, yes. I did."

We reached the top of the road and turned onto the high street, towards the nearest tram stop. The flower boys were out in force again, trying to sell bouquets of roses. Some were even giving free blooms to passing women. One appeared in my hands.

Alex shot it an offended look. "I've got you flowers. They're waiting for you in my flat."

I had to jog to keep up with him. "You've -- got me flowers?"