Chapter 1: Sentenced

Silence rung through the courtroom. The judge banged his gavel and glared down at me. He then boasted out, "The trial will come to order! Read the charges of the accused!"

The court officer saluted to the judge, took out a file and explained, "On 05-25 at 1100 hours, IT company RockTech Inc. reported suspicions of embezzlement within the company. On 06-01 at 0700 hours, authorities found the embezzlement was from one of the employees. On 06-02 at 0500 hours, authorities stormed the residence of the accused defendant, Ken Chiharu, and arrested him on charges of embezzlement, wire fraud and securities fraud. Authorities discovered RockTech's funds were in defendant Chiharu's personal account.

"According to authorities, the last purchase defendant Chiharu made from his account was a store bought lunchbox from the local convenience store. Authorities also discovered the last withdrawal defendant Chiharu made was on 05-28 at 1530 hours and the last deposit defendant Chiharu made was on 05-30 at 1245 hours. RockTech's missing funds of $60,000 to $75,000 were discovered in defendant Chiharu's account according to authorities.

"And looking into the defendant's file, he has no family connections or any other connections whatsoever. However, receipts found in the defendant's apartment discover he made high priced purchases ranging from $100 to $200. But according to the CEO of RockTech, purchases made for suits pricing at $1,500 to $2,000 and electronics ranging from a smartphone costing $150, a television costing $750 and a game console costing $250, all together come to $1,150.

"As of today, the defendant is standing before us after making unnecessary purchases from stolen funds from the company he's been working for for the last 4 months."

When the court officer was done, the judge nodded, looked at me and he asked, "How does the defendant plead?"

I looked at the judge and said, "Not guilty, Your Honor."

The judge furrowed his eyes at me and said, "And why is that? Given the evidence the prosecution showed, it clearly states you're the guilty party in this fair trial."

I shook my head and I said, "What evidence? I wouldn't even define this trial as "fair!" I don't even have a lawyer to speak up for my defense!"

The judge smirked and said, "Well I don't see why you need one given the amount in your salary."

I furrowed my eyes and asked, "Then why wasn't I appointed one on the state's salary instead?"

The judge just laughed, looked at me evilly and said, "Why would the state waste its time on trash like you?! You have no family, you're a single bachelor and the amount you make working at RockTech is laughable given it's the same amount paid to burger flippers at McDonald's!"

It was then that the judge lifted his gavel, glared down at me and announced to the courtroom, "Ken Chiharu, for the crime of embezzlement and fraud, this court sentences you to 5 years in the Miyahabara Correctional Facility!"

When I heard the gavel bang, I heard the judge say as he glared one last time, "May God have mercy on your soul."

It was then that I was grabbed by the arms by two court officers and they dragged me out of the courtroom while I kept screaming over and over again that I didn't do it and as the doors shut, that was the last anyone in that courtroom saw of me. After my trial, I was placed on a prison bus that was heading towards the prison where I'll be staying for sixty days or even more given how I'll behave at this place.

I looked at my reflection in the window watching the trees and lines go by. I then looked down at my wrists that were cuffed together and my long white hair went into my face. My silver eyes started to swell up with tears as I remembered all that happened to me. I graduated college with a degree in IT and the first thing I did was apply to the first company that came into my mind; RockTech Inc.