C H A P T E R T W E L V E

THIRD PERSON POV

Weeks went by, and the peace had finally agreed with the Mandalorian, the Unseeing Assassin, and the ex-shock trooper. Omera took good care of her guests, providing food and anything else they required to make their stay more comfortable.

While Cara and Mando spent most of their time relaxing by the barn, looking out over the open space in the village where the children played with the little green infant, it was Reina who had really submerged herself into their safehaven, assisting Omera with her duties any time she could lend a hand and interacting with the children. She had finally settled that this village was almost exactly like her home on Haloes before her life changed forever... Something inside Reina whispered how maybe, just maybe, this peaceful home could be a new start for not just her, but her partner and the child they've sworn to protect.

"So what happens if you do take that thing off?" Cara blurted out the question while she leaned in her seat. "Do they come after you to kill you?"

"No," Mando answered. "I just can't never put it back on."

Cara paused before blantly saying, "That's it? That's what stopping you from shedding all this armor and settling down with that beautiful young partner of yours and raising the child while sipping spochka?"

"Excuse me?" Mando turned his full attention to the ex-shock trooper in disbelief.

"Oh, come on, Mando." Cara cheeked a smirk. "You don't have to play dumb."

"I don't belong here." Mando stated.

"Huh, and who is going to tell Reina and the kid that?"

"I'm leaving the kid here." Mando decided. "He belongs here. Being with me...that's no life for a kid."

"It's going to break his little heart." Cara sighed, sipping from her glass.

"He'll get over it." Mando said. "We all do."

"And what about Reina?" Cara mentioned, crossing her arms. "Did you forget about what she thinks?"

In response, Mando pushed himself off the wall and marched out to go find his partner, while Cara took another gulp, shaking her head. "They've got a long way to go."

—————————————————————

Mando found Reina sitting in the grass with the child in her arms as she laughed with the village children. She had the most genuine smile he had yet to see. From afar, she looked nothing like a bounty hunter; in fact, she came across as someone who would never hurt a soul. She had shed her armor and wore Omera's dress with her dark-brown curls, which had grown longer to just about her shoulders, tied up with ribbons, her bangs cleanly swept across her forehead. With the sun shining brightly, the rays changed her dark eyes into glistening caramel orbs.

Mando approached her with caution, in his Beskar armor he stuck out like a sore thumb in the cheerful atmosphere. "Reina, may I speak with you?" His partner looked up at him with a friendly grin. "Of course," she nodded, and handed the child to Omera's daughter Winta. The two bounty hunters then found themselves standing in the middle of a land bridge crossing two pools where they were alone. "What did you want to talk about, Mando?"

"You and the kid like it here?" Despite such a simple question, Reina suddenly sensed tension between them, and she immediately knew something was wrong.

"Yes," she said quietly and nodded. "This place has everything we were looking for when we first rescued him: a calm community and peaceful environment. It's perfect for us."

"You both are happy here?"

"Mando, stop playing games with me." Reina skipped straight to the point. "Is there something wrong?"

"I plan on leaving." Mando revealed, facing Reina. "And I plan on leaving you both here."

Reina fell completely silent; she was speechless and her body stiffened. "W-why?" she stuttered, biting her tongue to control her emotions. "Where is this coming from? This isn't funny, Mando."

"I don't belong here, Reina." Mando admitted to his partner. "You and the kid both do. Besides, travelling with me will only bring on more hunters. That's no life for a kid. And you, with your sight back, you can finally start a new life on your own."

"On my own, huh?" Reina's tone lowered as she frowned deeply. "You are so selfish, Mando." Mando's head cocked slightly to the side at the negative comment until Reina continued. "How dare you assume that I would rather stay here than travel with you. And then, you are just going to leave the child because you think he's safer here? How do you know hunters won't find him here? We rescued him to protect him; you are not just going to abandon him. And me...you're just going to abandoned your partner because you assume I can have a better life?" Reina quickly calmed down and softened her tone when she realized she went too far. "Aren't you happy here?"

"This place is nice." Mando agreed, gazing past her to view the village behind her.

"Wouldn't you like to stay? Remove your armor and stash it away in case if there's ever trouble." Reina tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "You could be a child for once... Wouldn't that be nice?"

"It would..." Mando admitted, but his quiet tone reminded Reina why they must leave. Deep down, she knew he was right...

"This place, Mando," she breathed finally. "It reminds me too much of what my life was like on Haloes."

"And that's a bad thing?" Mando genuinely questioned, stepping a little closer towards her. Reina nodded truthfully. "I can never have that life again. When I got my sight back and we rescued the child, that's when I realized I had already chosen a new start. With you and the child." Reaching out her hand, Reina's finger tips hooked onto the ends of Mando's left gauntlet. "The child is happy here, and you truly believe he'll be safe here without us, then I'll put away my selfish thoughts and allow Omera to care for him."

Mando then placed a hand on hers, gently, and nodded. "This is the way."

Out of nowhere, a blaster shot echoed through the forest. Mando instinctively threw his arm out as he shielded Reina from the forest. "Go get the kid!" He shouted before sprinting into the trees.

"Right!" Reina dashed the opposite way and helped gather the screaming children and panicking adults to a safeplace, scooping up the baby safely in her arms. The danger was soon over when Mando and Cara returned with the news that a bounty hunter had found its way to Sorgan, tracking the child. There was a silent agreement between Mando and Reina that it was time to leave, and they were bringing the child with them.

The villagers helped load supplies for them onto the trailer they had arrived in weeks ago. Although offered to join them, Cara declined, and there were no harm done. "Until our paths cross." She smirked at Mando with her hand raised. Mando locked his hand in hers with a satisfying nod. "Until our paths cross." Cara then turned to Reina, and with a slight pause and smile between the two strong women, they embraced each other softly. "Take care." Reina whispered in her ear.

"Keep an eye on those two for me." Cara let go of the hug and winked at her.

Reina then faced Omera, and almost tackled her in her waiting arms. "Thank you." Omera breathed. Reina rubbed her chin on her shoulder. "No, thank you."

At last, the two bounty hunters boarded the trailer with their child in toll and as they rode away, the Sorgan village community waved good-bye until they disappeared into the treeline. For the most part, their ride back was a quiet one, with the exception of the child's babbling. Reina placed him on her lap and let the baby gripped his three-fingered hands over her index fingers. "No one is going to harm you." She teased playfully, looking directly into its giant dark orbs. "Not while we're around." The baby only laughed.

Mando watched the two interact and realized Reina was right. She had chosen her new start. And in his case, so has he. Before he dozed off into a nap, he noticed his partner rubbing her eyes. Not paying too much of mind, he drifted off.

Meanwhile, Reina too ignored the irritation in her pupils. It was a come-and-go nuisance, so there was nothing to worry about for now. At this moment, Reina's only concern was where she and Mando and their child were heading off to next, and whether they would be safe. Or not.