C H A P T E R T E N

THIRD PERSON POV

Reina woke up with the sensation of cool metal pressed against her cheek and the warm sun's rays shining in her eyes. She squinted until they adjusted and slightly raised her head to figure out where she, Mando, the baby, and Cara Dune were. Her head rolled over at Mando next to her, and she realized she had fallen asleep with her head leaned on his armored bicep. She frantically scooted over, creating distance between them, in hopes when Mando woke up he wouldn't suspect anything.

The trailer came to a halt, jolting both Cara and Mando awake, and they all looked around to see they have arrived at the krill farmers' village. The whole community of people cheered and gathered around them to help unload their supplies. "Looks like they're happy to see us." Mando observed.

"Looks like." Cara confirmed, smiling kindly at the excited locals. The children crowded around the child, aweing and laughing at its adorable demeanor. Reina hopped off their transport and scooped him up, following Mando and a guide to where they would be bunking. When they finally arrived, a woman with long dark hair had just finished tying up the window blinds to let the sunshine light the room.

"Please, come on." Her voice was soft. "Sorry, but all we have is the barn."

"This will do." Mando said, placing his belongings against the wall. Reina followed him in and also lowered her bag from her shoulder. "It's very nice. I'm Reina." She shook hands with the woman. "Omera. There are blankets over here for you two—I'm sorry, three of you, to use." She smiled at the child sitting in the crook of Reina's arm.

"Thank you," Mando said, not making eye contact with Omera. "That's very kind of you." Reina caught some hesitation in his voice, as if he was uncomfortable in the peaceful atmosphere. Reina caught some movement outside, and Mando immediately reacted to it, his hand ready to pull his blaster from his holster. Reina instinctively grasped his arm to calm him down. "Easy, Mando." she urged, and saw a little girl who was a split-image of Omera.

"This is my daughter, Winta." Omera was surprisingly calm, as she smoothed the clinging child's hair. "We don't get a lot of visitors." She then looked down at her daughter with a teasing grin. "These nice people are going to protect us from the bad ones."

"Thank you." Winta squeaked shyly. Reina approached her and knelt to meet her eye level. "You're welcome. You don't have to be scared anymore. We will take care of you and your village." The kind gesture made Winta smiled, and shook the hunter's hand playfully. "Come on, Winta. Let's give our guests some room." Omera and her daughter left, and Reina and Mando were finally alone with the child still in her arms.

"Mando, are you feeling okay?" She questioned her partner's behavior. Mando nodded like nothing was wrong. "Why wouldn't I?"

"You seem unhinged." Reina observed. "Like the peace around here uneases you."

"I guess I'm not used to it."

"I guess..." Reina sighed, and decided to drop the subject.

Later in the evening, Omera and Winta returned. Omera carried a tray of food and placed it on the low table, while Winta shyly pulled on Reina's shirt hem. "Can I feed him?" She was referring to the baby, who stood upright in his crib. "Of course." She watched the little girl kneel down and feed the child bite-size food. "Can I play with him?" Reina caught Mando acknowledging the request. "Sure. Here, let me get him out for you." Reina lifted the baby out and let it wobble its way to Winta, who playfully headed to the door. "Come on!" The baby babbled as he followed her.

"I don't think—" Mando started after them, but both Omera and Reina stopped him. "They'll be fine." The mother smiled.

"But I don't—"