Awakening to Life 6

Chapter 6

"No way! You guys totally can't keep your eyes off each other, you hang out practically every night after school aaaannnddd on weekends. Something's going on and you're not telling me!!" Hailey wails in my ear. I attempt to shush her inconspicuously. Jayden is indeed looking at us. He smirks at me as our eyes meet. Aaron is enthusiastically describing his latest victory or something to Jayden and the rest of their group of ego-driven guys, but it's clear he's not listening. Similarly, I'm not really paying that much attention to Hailey - though I swear I'm trying.

"What do you want me to say Hailey?" I turn my back on Jayden and his stupid smirk, totally dedicated to placating my only female friend.

"You've met up with him like... six times right?" I nod shyly. Jayden and I had become friends, close friends. But I was lying to him... still pretending that I am healthy and Josh is the kid with cancer.

"In the last, what? Eight days?" She's giggling and darting quick, not-so-subtle glances in Jayden's direction.

"We're friends I swear!" I exclaim, my embarrassment reaching an all time high as the pretty girls who Jayden would normally date walk past, shooting loaded glares in my direction. If only they knew the truth. They wouldn't be jealous and callous like they have been ever since that morning when Jayden first met me at my locker, proceeding to invite me to his place so that we could fall asleep together on his bed when his parents were at the hospital with his sister Rosie.

"There's no way," Hailey teases, only half joking. "Do you want to know how I know he's totally in to you?"

"How?" I demand, certain that she won't be able to produce a single accurate statement.

"Well for starters, he spends most of his time outside of school hanging with you. Secondly, the whole time he's at school he's either staring dreamily into the distance or at you, if you're in the area." I hit her playfully at the last one. "Finally, he's about to kick it up a notch and drag you away from your best friend."

I tilt my head. Huh? I open my mouth to question Hailey and blatantly deny that Jayden would ever want to hang out with me at school when her focus lifts to someone behind me. A rough hand lands on my shoulder.

"Can I join you ladies?" Jayden sits by my side without waiting for an answer. His thigh presses against mine and he brushes a stray strand of hair from my cheek.

"Just admit it Alison," Hailey says in an offhand manner. My cheeks flush, right on cue. People on the other side of the city are probably aware of my embarrassment from the intensity of my blush, let alone Jayden who can probably feel the heat radiating off of me like a bushfire that could wipe out half a forest.

"What?" he grins easily. "Did you predict that a sexy man like me would join you for lunch?"

I almost choke and Hailey bursts into laughter. How close he is. Except he's not sexy. Or a man. Not that he's not good-looking... and my heart speeds up a little whenever he's near me. Oh crap.

I'm saved of having to come up with a reply by the bell. Literally, saved by the bell. "Come on," I grunt. Very attractive Alison, I scold myself - until I remember that I'm not flirting with him. He doesn't know. He'll hate me. Jayden and I rush to Art class while Hailey saunters off to Physics or Chemistry, or some other absurdly difficult class she insists on taking just to "keep her options open."

I settle into my favourite chair in the corner of the room. It sits directly under a low window which serves as a source of both light and inspiration when I need it. Jayden immediately locates the keys to the cabinet for supplies which covers the length of the wall to retrieve his camera for the double lesson. I am immersed in my latest sketch, an abstract concept which incorporates images of a woman and a tree into one figure - or at least that's my goal until I'm ripped from my bubble of concentration by a sudden succession of clicking. The irritating sound only stops when I look up and glare into the lens of the camera.

Jayden snaps another photo before slowly lowering the camera and meeting my angry expression. "Oh come on Allie! The lighting was perfect!" he shuffles uncomfortably as I refuse to drop my gaze. "You look beautiful?" he states it like a question, like it will get him out of trouble. Despite myself, I melt slightly.

"Go away Jayden, take your camera elsewhere." I hold the stern look until he turns away, walking self consciously to the cluster of computers on the opposite side of the room. I smile, turning back to my sketching.

The double flies by and I've completed a succession of sketches, a number of variations which I could use or meld together to create my final image which I plan to be printed on a massive canvas. Then I remember what Dr Marsden said. I frown at the pictures sadly, thinking that I would be better off just taking them home. The canvas would take a long time to complete.

Jayden walks over carrying an A2 sheet of shiny paper, holding the white side to face me while hiding the photo. "You ready to go?" he asks, subtly eying my sketch pad.

"Yeah," I leap up, stuffing my art books and pencils into my bag and leaping out of the chair. I become aware of a dull pain in my abdomen. Great... I was hoping to hang out with Jayden after school. I shake my head slightly and try to focus on the present. "What have you printed?"

"It's just something I did today," he mumbles, tugging at my hand as I go to stop and pull the photo around to face me.

"Please Jayden?" I flirt, opening my eyes wide and pouting ever so slightly. "Why can't I see it? I already know I'll love it..."

He looks at me uncertainly. I'm slightly offended. I've loved everything he's showed me thus far, why would that change now? Why won't he show me?

"It's, umm..." he avoids my eyes as we walk towards the car park.

I grab his hand and spin him around to face me. "Just show me," I demand in what I hope is a cool and collected voice of authority.

"Fine!" he spins the photo around carefully so as not to crease the paper. I see an enlarged photo of myself from the start of the lesson. My hair flows freely, framing my face which is further accentuated by the stream of pure light from the window. My eyelashes are long and dark. My lips are pressed together with the slight tension of concentration. I look beautiful. I gasp and can't seem to break away from the image. I feel beautiful. I haven't felt beautiful for a long time. The dull aching deep in my stomach seems to fade as I look up into Jayden's expectant face.

"It's beautiful," I say.

"You are beautiful," he says firmly. Then he leans down and kisses me.

His lips are softer than I could ever have imagined. He tastes like life; alive and fresh and healthy. His free hand winds around my waist and pulls me closer as he deepens the kiss. I can hear a number of immature guys in our year yelling and making rude suggestions. Jayden doesn't seem to notice and soon enough, I forget everything except how he feels next to me, how he tastes as his lips tug on mine and his tongue traces the inside of my mouth.

All too soon he breaks away. A gentle smile lights up his face and his hand remains on my side.

"Do you want to come over tonight?" he asks, just like every night this past week - only this time there's an added weight to the question. Something is different, in a good way... in an absolutely amazing way. Only, I can't. The pain in my abdomen worsens as I focus on it, deliberating on its significance. I'll probably need to go to the hospital.

"I can't Jayden. I have to go home today." His face drops slightly, but he understands. Or at least, he thinks he does. He believes I have to support my sick brother. Suddenly, I hate myself for letting him continue to believe the lie. But at the same time, I'm nowhere near brave enough to risk losing him by telling the truth.

"Okay. I'll take you home."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Readers,

Is Hailey an awesome character? Please vote and comment.

=D