Awakening to Life 3

Chapter 3

"Good morning Alison," I smile, waking slowly as Stella dances into the room. She grins at me, "I hear you're going home this morning. Are you doing anything fun? Catching up with friends maybe?"

I sit up, stretching my aching body from another night in these beds. "No, maybe I can convince Josh to let me watch him practice baseball in the park - but he doesn't want to show me his skills until the game."

"What about Paul," she asks, winking at me and watching out the corner of her eye for my reaction.

I blush furiously, "He probably wants to spend some time at home with his family and friends."

Stella raises an eyebrow. My phone goes off, vibrating and playing the start of my favourite Disney song which changes every week. I sneak a glance at the caller ID and seeing Paul's name, excitedly rip it open.

'Morning! What r u up to 2day?'

"Paul?" Stella asks.

I laugh, blushing an even brighter shade of red. "Maybe!"

'I just woke up... going home this morning.' I reply, eagerly watching the screen for his next text.

'U wanna hang out?'

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes and YES!! I'm doing a sitting down variation of my happy dance as Mum walks in. She laughs when she sees me but I just grin at her. "What are you so happy about?" she asks suspiciously.

"Mum," I begin, "Can I pretty please hang out with a friend today?"

She starts smiling wildly as well. "Of course sweetie! Who are you meeting? And where are you going?"

She's excited for me; she's wanted me to confess my illness to my school friends since we moved. She thinks I've been really lonely because I haven't had any friends to talk to or hang out with when I wasn't feeling my best, and she's sort of right.

"Paul. And I don't know yet."

'Yes. Where and when?' I text back.

"A boy?" Mum asks smiling as he replies quickly.

'The Holsten park with the lake running through the middle at 3pm. C u there.'

I repeat the information to mum, she nods and I send a quick Ok before jumping out of bed and pulling on the clothes Mum bought me.

"When can I get out of here?" I ask.

"I'll go find out," she walks out of the room, leaving me to bounce excitedly on the bed in anticipation for the afternoon.

The time passes slowly as I wait. Finally, Mum pushes a wheelchair into the room and tells me we can leave. I practically leap into the wheelchair, too accustomed to the hospital policy to argue against the precaution.

The car ride home is awkward. The sudden intimacy comes too soon.

"How are you feeling?" Mum asks, her eyes glued to the road.

"Much better."

"That's not what I meant," she replies softly.

Dread courses through my body. "You're talking about the treatment ending? I haven't really thought about it yet."

"You can't live in denial Allie," she says quickly, wincing as the words escape her mouth. Neither of us says anything for a moment.

"I'm sorry," she whispers, still refusing to look at me. I know it has more to do with our relationship than her driving. I wait for her to clarify her apology, but she doesn't. I nod, knowing that she can see me from the corner of her eye.