Aramis kicked the door in, to reveal a spiral staircase. “Hurry,” he urged. “And I don't need to remind you not to let the guards catch you when you reach the palace.”

“No, you don't,” I said, stepping over the broken door. I put my hand on the wall, and started down.

~*~

Halfway down, I met some priests who were on their way up, concerned and outraged over what had been done. I considered confiding to them what had happened and why they now had two ships on their roof. I decided it would take too long, and so simply dissolved into a rather elaborate display of hysterics.

A kind priest escorted me down to the ground. Once there, I made sure I thanked him and then asked if he knew of where I could find a horse. He stared at my sudden recovery.

“Mademoiselle, I don't think you should-.”

“I must return to my post immediately!” I told him. It wasn't hard for me to cause my eyes to fill with tears yet again. I was tired of this whole thing, and I just wanted it to be over. “It is a matter of great importance. Please. A horse.”

Perhaps it was an unfair strategy for me to have chosen, and I can't say that I'm very proud of having done it. After all, few men could remain strong in the face of a woman's tears. The priest promised he would find an appropriate mount and hurried away to carry out his promise. I brushed at my tears away. A curious thought came to mind.

Would Rochefort or even Richelieu have been affected if I'd cried in front of them?

No. I knew the answer as soon as I'd asked myself the question. They both would have taken it as a sign of weakness, which would have done me no credit.

“Mademoiselle? We have a horse for you.”

Pleased that it was so quick, I followed the priest outside. The horse that was waiting for me was old, but looked steady enough. “Thank you so much,” I said, sincerely. “You cannot know what this means to me, or to France.”

The priest frowned at that, and sent a glance up at the two airships that were trapped above. “I don't want to know, do I?” he asked.

I smiled regretfully. “No, I imagine you really don't,” I answered. I pulled myself into the saddle. My entire body was sore from being tense and from all the jolting I'd been through. I grimaced in pain. “Thank you.”

Nodding, the priest stepped back. I turned the horse and gently nudged it's sides. Knowing the priest wouldn't appreciate seeing me push the animal, I kept to a sedate pace until I knew I was out of sight of the Notre Dame. And then, I urged the horse into a gallop.

The streets were familiar, and I wove my way through them with ease once I got past the rush of people who wanted to see what had happened at Notre Dame. As I rode, I ran through the best way to get into the palace without being caught by the Cardinal.

But then I smirked.

Until his men reached him, Cardinal Richelieu had no idea what was about to happen. He would have no time to order them to watch for me.

For the first time, something might actually be easy.

~*~

I could have sobbed with relief when I rode up to the gates of the palace. “Mademoiselle Bonaceiux!” the guard at the front exclaimed on seeing me. “It has been some time since we've seen you. I hope all is well?”

“Yes, thank you,” I answered, only slowing down a little bit to speak to the man. I tried to look as natural as possible, which wasn't easy given how I must have looked: wind blown about, dress smudged and stained, and of course, the diamonds at my neck.

Reaching the stables, I slid to the ground and handed the horse into the care of the grooms. I told them quickly that the animal was to be returned to the Notre Dame as soon as possible, and hurried away before I could be questioned about it. I trusted the horse would be cared for and returned.

Walking quickly, I entered the palace through the servants' entrance. I dodged my way through the kitchen, offering my apologies as I hurried through. I paused to catch my breath in the hallway.

Now would be the hard part. I leaned over to check the route ahead of me. There was no sign of Richelieu's loyal guards, or of the Cardinal himself. Taking a deep breath, I pushed myself forward.

“Mademoiselle Bonacieux!”

At the sound of my name, I jumped and spun around. How had I missed seeing M. de Treville? “Monsieur!” I exclaimed.

He came towards me, frowning in concern. “If you'll pardon me saying, you look-.”

“Please, I have no time. I must get to the queen,” I interrupted. I reached my hand up to my neck. His eyes followed my motion and he gave a start at seeing the diamonds. I realized that now would be the time to take them off and did so. “The ball begins soon.”

“You are correct,” de Treville responded. “Hurry, Mademoiselle. I will see to it you are not followed.”

Smiling my thanks, I nodded and turned back to my course. I hoped fervently that I'd remember the right hallways to take and not get myself lost. I was very thankful that the majority of the court seemed to be locked away in preparation for the ball, leaving my way clear of any people.

And then, I saw the end of my journey. Benita was hoovering outside the queen's chambers, looking worried. “I have them!” I announced, holding the necklace up for her to see.

“Constance!” my fellow lady in waiting exclaimed. She engulfed me in a hug. “We were so worried when we received no message and you didn't come back! Are you all right?”

I thought I saw the tracks of tears on her face. “I'm fine,” I answered. “I'll explain it all later. We have to get Her Majesty to the ball.”

“The orchestra has already arrived and the king has flowers arranged,” Benita informed me, knocking three times on the door.

Apparently the knock was a code, for the door flew open a moment later. “Constance!” Dolores nearly screamed. She pulled me into the chambers and Benita closed the door after us. “Oh, thank god you're safe!”

“Constance?” Queen Anne came towards me, brushing at stray tears on her cheeks. She was dressed in a gorgeous gown for the ball and I felt touched at the trust she'd had that I, with the help of the musketeers, would be successful. “At last. Are you all right? You look dreadful!”

I knew I looked bad but this was getting ridiculous. “Your Majesty,” I said formally. I held the necklace out to her with both hands. “It may be a little dirty, but its in one piece.”

The relief on her face was clear for us all to see. “Thank you, Constance,” the queen said quietly. She took the necklace from me and fastened it around her own neck. “I'm sure no one will notice.”

“We're saved,” Dolores breathed. She collapsed into a seat on the other side of the room. “Thank god this is over.”

“You look as though you've been through quite a journey,” Queen Anne commented. “The Cardinal?”

All I could do was nod. “Your Majesty, you should go down,” I urged. “The king will be worrying himself something dreadful. Go down to that ball and put his mind at ease.”

She smiled at me and then glanced at the other ladies. “Dolores, I want you to help Constance look presentable,” she ordered. “I want to make sure Richelieu gets the point that I will not have my ladies in waiting harmed ever again.”

Surprised, I looked at her. “Your Majesty?”

“I will have you at my side to see an end to this mess, as you have been by my side through it all,” the queen told me firmly. “Get yourself presentable. Nothing too fancy. We don't have a lot of time.”

Dolores nodded and took my arm. “I can't wait for you to tell us everything!” she said confidingly. “Now, let's make you look worthy of a ball.”