However, she found herself almost jumping in her spot when she felt his hand on her shoulder blade, his warmth soaking her skin.

When she opened her eyes, Zachary scooted himself closer than ever, their faces only inches apart. They remained in this position for what seems like forever until Seraphina cleared her throat.

With that, Zachary busied himself in the meal once again, explaining how he wasn't, by any means, skilled in the art of cooking so she, by any means, should excuse him.

At the mention of that, Seraphina found herself smiling at him, chuckling as she gaped at him, his nervousness pretty much evident.

Frankly speaking, Zachary is no chef yet his cooking skills are more decent than Seraphina's.

Still, they both need a bunch of cooking books and a couple of cooking lessons here and there.

"I don't have any stock of food here so I had to race towards the Town's Market before sunrise before you wake up," explained Zachary, eyeing Seraphina to consume the soup he prepared.

At the back of her mind, Seraphina is stunned for she cannot imagine Zachary actually racing to the town's market to purchase a meal before sunrise where many vendors are still not open. In fact, all vendors are still not there. She wonders how he managed to score a few ingredients.

In that very moment, it was as if not a single tragedy transpired. How she wished it'll be just like this forever.

After the meal, Zachary left the room shortly, bringing the tray and the empty bowl of soup with him, a shy grin plastered in his face.

Now with decent energy, Seraphina let herself walk around the small room, dared to open the window near the bed.

Tucking the black curtains aside, her eyes survey the surrounding, a feeling of familiarity budding inside her chest.

A few seconds later, the realization hit her hard, Seraphina almost faint in her very spot once again for Zachary's house is only a few minutes drive away from the boarding school.

She could vividly remember passing through this dark manner which seems like an abandoned one every time they'll go to the Town's Market, to the Church, back in Avebury, and even when Zacahry and she traveled to Colchester all alone.

Good God, all this time. He had been living so close to her?

Her mind began to conjure the instances when Zachary stood here in this very spot, staring at her whenever she'll be passing by all these years since she enrolled in the boarding school.

What made it worse, when Dorian was still alive, they always sneak outside every single night God created, always passing through this manor.

No wonder he knew Dorian always pays her a visit. No wonder...

Seraphina was way too invested in her thoughts to the point she didn't notice Zacahary's presence, a few steps across her.

As soon as he saw her melancholic expression, his grin instantly disappeared into thin air for he knew something's amiss.

"Since when, Zachary, have you bought this house of yours?" Seraphina blurted out, her tone and expression calm but inside, her blood is beginning to boil.

There was no answer. Silence enveloped them until Seraphina strolled down towards him, closing the gap, clenched his already wrinkled shirt, repeating her question, emphasizing every word.

At last, he responded, '" Months before you enrolled in the boarding school," his voice quiet, his eyes on the ground, his hands beside him.

Seraphina just stared at him in disbelief. "I am so disappointed, Zach, but not surprised,"