9. My Lucky Charm Cont.

Blithe laughed, what a beautiful laugh. I couldn't help but smile.

A body sat down beside us, covered in a leopard print leotard. Bast's lips were pulled back in what could've been a snarl or a grin; her eyes didn't hint me in to what it was, they were squinted as if she were anticipating a fight. She might have been, honestly, you never can tell with a cat.

"Phillip seems to be enjoying his flamingo," Bast pointed out.

I turned to watch him. He tore at the meat, he held it his teeth and whipped his head about trying to rip it into peices. His pink eyes screamed with ferocity, and I'm not sure what Bast saw. He looked like he wanted to kill me for tempting him with such rancid meat.

"He just looks like an extremely pissed crocodile to me," I said before turning around.

'He's happy that you gave him something he needs to tear to eat. It appeals to his animal instinct, that's why he looks so pissed, he's doing the closest thing he knows to hunting." Blithe said without taking her eyes off of Phillip.

"How do you know that?" I asked her.

"I don't know." She shrugged.

"I think I know," Bast said. I shifted my eyes to her. "Blithe is a reader. She can read the thoughts, emotions, and pasts of animals. I had collected that aura from the beginning, being the cat goddess, I can tell who has powers within my field. I've been keeping an eye on her to find out if it's true, and I think it is."

"But she does the same thing with humans," I argued.

"And you think humans aren't animals?" Bast counteracted, leaning in towards me. "Let me tell you a secret, humans are the most belligerent and blind of all beasts; they view themselves as supreme. They are a great species, but they are not all they claim to be. Remember that."

"Is that why we have gods? To help us acheive a higher state?" I stared in her eyes.

"I cannot tell you that, you would have to ask Ra." She answered.

It was in that instant that I realized there was no balloon in my chest, no nervousness, no fear eating away at my charisma. I looked at Blithe and realized I wasn't dying of embarassment. I laughed.

My pockets might have been filled to the brim with superstitious fetiches, but Bast was my only good luck charm.