"You were probably the fastest learner."

I wasn't sure if it was meant as a compliment, but I took it as one. Compliments from him were always rare.

"I'm ready to go."

"Don't you want extra ammunition?" He asked.

"If I need more than what I have in these fully loaded guns, and what I know you're carrying ... we're screwed anyway."

My dad shrugged and started to head out. "Okay then."

I reached behind and grabbed a small box of silver bullets and one of wood, slipping them into my pockets. I went up the stairs and to the garage, getting into the passenger seat.

"You do realize tonight's the full moon, right?"

He pulled out of the drive and down the street.

"You're taking us after a werewolf on the full moon."

"An omega without a pack, yes."

"But it's still the full moon."

He glanced my way for a brief moment and I could see the smile he was trying to hide.

"Stay away from their claws and fangs and everything will be fine. You brought bullets and you have your dagger. You went up against an Alpha last night."

Is that what this is about? Are you mad because I went after an Alpha without telling you? Is this supposed to teach me a lesson or something? Because I learned my lesson. I'm not hunting with him anymore."

"No, that's not what this is about. I'm taking you after a werewolf on a full moon to show you how to take precautions. If you're going to go after these things when they're at their strongest—if you're going to go after the heads of their packs—then you need to know how to do it safely. Your mother died going after an Alpha, and you just went in without asking any questions or taking extra precautions."

"Take us home. We'll do this another night," I said.

"No. We're already out, we're doing this tonight."

"No we're not."

"We are doing this," he said between gritted teeth.

"It was one stupid hunt, Dad! It was one Alpha, and I'm perfectly fine."

"Yeah, you have the black eye to prove it."

"Yes, a black eye. No scratches or bites, no broken bones. Just a black eye. It will heal in a week or so and I'll be fine."

My dad stopped talking. It was clear he wouldn't be turning around, and that was fine by me now. I needed something to take my anger out on. It was just like Josh had said when we were all together. We were going to be off on our own at some point. We were going to be doing this by ourselves—well, I was going to be doing this by myself. He couldn't watch over me forever. Injuries were a part of the job. We knew there were risks to hunting, and I was prepared to handle them.

The Jeep rolled to a stop and my dad turned the ignition off.

"Are you involved with that boy?"

"I don't get involved," I said quickly.

"Good ... that you're not with him I mean."

"Why's that?" I leaned against the side of the Jeep while he dug out the weapons he wanted.

"Like I said, we don't know him. It's best not to get involved with people we don't know." It was there in his answer. Something that gave away that it was a lie.