༺ recess pt. 1 ༻

alexis

it was the night of the dance.

whether she was going with anyone or not, alexis still wanted to look pretty for it. with fleur's help ("i guess hanging out with kelly gave me knowledge about clothes, at least,"), she'd made a dress that fitted her perfectly, and looked like the night sky.

now the two of them were still sat by the side of the swimming pool, their feet brushing against the water. as the clock in the distance struck half past nine, both girls hastily stood up.

"you ready to do this?" fleur asked, offering her arm to alexis.

exhaling shakily, alexis nodded, taking it.

the two girls made their way down the candle-lit hallways together, talking quietly. the atmosphere of the whole school was different tonight.

alexis felt as though tonight was the night.

the school hall was completely transformed; pastel pink and blue decorations were strung everywhere. there was a table piled high with paper plates and delicious-looking food, as well as a banner that read happy 150th anniversary.

everyone was dressed in their best formalwear, having a nice time- apart from kelly, who was in the middle of slapping some girl for whatever reason.

alexis looked away, and spotted celeste, isabel, angelita and magnolia, all grouped together beneath a bunch of balloons. the girls all waved to each other, and alexis and fleur made their way over.

"good evening ladies, you're all looking beautiful tonight," alexis quipped.

"we could say the same to you," replied magnolia with a giggle.

celeste opened her mouth to say something, but before she could, the door clicked open again and they all turned.

crybaby had just entered the ballroom, her beehive hair adding impressively to her height. her lilac satin dress suited her perfectly, hugging her curves and making her eyes stand out in the most beautiful way that made alexis's heart flip.

that same heart shattered all over again, just a few moments later, as a taller man offered her his arm, and she accepted with a giggle.

it was leo;
crybaby had actually accepted his invitation to the dance.

"hey- it's okay," fleur comforted hastily as she cottoned on. "just breathe, yeah? we're here."

the rest of the girls joined in, circling around alexis and hiding her from the rest of the room- all apart from celeste, who was glaring daggers at crybaby.

"what are you doing here?" celeste growled as the girl approached. "this isn't part of the plan- you're gonna screw the whole thing up!"

crybaby's cautious smile dropped.

"more importantly, what is he doing here?" angelita added, staring in disgust at leo.

"most importantly, what is alexis doing here without you?" fleur added. "she's so good to you, crybaby, and you're really fucking her over like this?"

alexis shook her head. "it's fine," she muttered.

"no it's not," said magnolia pointedly.

"i- i don't know..." crybaby stammered. "i just thought- that i-"

"you were being selfish," celeste finished blankly.

crybaby bit her lip, and her gaze dropped to the floor.
"i'm sorry... really," she said quietly.

"if you want to prove it, then... it isn't too late for the plan. get us the fuck out of here," said alexis coldly.

crybaby nodded, and held out her hand to alexis.

alexis stared at crybaby's hand in disgust.

"you're doing this on your own."