Time Apart

Amara stared at her packed bag in the corner of the room. She sighed. She looked over at her phone on her lampstand. There was no notification, nothing from Thor.'

Kate knocked on the door.

"Nothing?"

Amara shook her head. "And I'm leaving tomorrow and I'm not excited."

"Oh, honey.  I'm sorry," she said, taking a couple of steps in. "For what it's worth, time apart is a good thing. It's like a meal that you have to keep in the oven for a while."

"A cooking analogy from thee who doesn't cook?"

"It's what came to mind first. I can't believe you guys fought in public."

"It was a verbal disagreement. He practically accused me of scheduling a call to avoid a conversation that I started."

"Not cool. Still, you guys seem private."

"Yeah, but whenever I'm with him, everything else seems to fade or be non-existent. It's what I love about him."

A whimper escaped Kate.

"What?"

"You just admitted you loved him.

Amara sighed.

"I was gonna ask if he wanted to come with me until he turned sour."

"Well, get over it. Both of you. I need to live vicariously through your union."

Amara chuckled.

"I'm going to the shop. You want any comfort food?"

Amara shook her head.

Kate stepped forward, gesturing for Amara to come over. She got up and wrapped her arms.

"It'll be fine."

"I hope so."

They broke apart.

"See you in a bit," Kate said as she left the room.

"Ok." Amara sat back on her bed. She glanced over at her phone.

I need reinforcements. She picked up her phone and swiped through her contacts. She pressed the call button and waited.

"Hey, sweetheart."

"Hey, dad. How's everything?"

"Everything's going well here. Hey, Danys. Say hi to your sister."

"Hey, sis," shouted her little sister. "Still dating your oppressor?"

Amara chortled. "History lesson, sis. We were sold into slavery by our own people. Humanity has it's good and bad folks. You don't choose who you vibe with. Put dad back on. Love you."

"Text you later."

"You two," he chuckled. "We're excited to see you on the Real. Are you all packed? Is Thor going with you"

"Yeah and no."

"What's wrong?"

"Thor and I are kind of on the outs."

His voice darkened. "What did he do?"

"Dad."

"What did he do, Amara?"

Amara sighed. "He told me he loved me."

There was silence. "How dare he? I'm flying over. Seriously? That's what happened?"

"Yeah." Amara did her best to hold the snort caused by the change in his pitch.

"So what's the problem? That's usually one of the best moments when you're dating."

"Darren."

"That waste man? He contacted you?"

"No," She briefed him about that notification and the night Thor called her.

"And now I'm afraid and on the defensive."

"Oh, child. Do you think this man would hurt you?"

"No, but I didn't think Darren would have either." Amara traced her finger along the folds of her bedsheets. "I just wanted a less biased opinion. Mom loves it when I'm with...anyone that can give her a grandchild. You're a different story."

"Well, I'm a father. It's my nature."

"Well, what do you know best?"

"Well, I know that when you told us you met Thor, you were happy. Very happy. It was like you had just met your soulmate. From what you told me, he called you just to hear your voice. Yeah, the first time was not the way you wanted it but I think he might mean it. That sounds like a man who know who he has and doesn't take you for granted. I know the choice is entirely yours to make. I know that you might regret it if you don't try."

As his words entered her ear and soul, her mind conjured an image of a future. A regretful future of them apart wondering what could have been. She placed a hand over her heart that ached at the thought.

She let out a deep exhale. "Okay."

"I also know if he hurts you, I will hurt him."

Amara smiled, feeling lighter. "I know you will. Thanks, Dad."

"No problem, sweetie. Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Can you send us a souvenir from Disneyland? I mean you're already in California. Might as well treat yourself. And everyone else"

Amara let out a laugh. Everything was going to be fine.

The above video is a tease of an announcement that I'm going to make at the end of this story. Two more chapters to go. Thanks for reading. Vote. Comment. Share. Enjoy. :D