the scalpels the limit

Start from the beginning

"You'll take them later on today. Don't worry about studying, we both know you'll pass. And I know you've taken an extreme likening to cardio and neuro...and plastics, general, peds and everything else in the book... so you'll be specializing in all of them," he spoke once again, with a smile.

"Mr. Webber, I-I," I stuttered out. I didn't know what to say to him.

A simple 'thank you' didn't seem like enough.

"Child! Stop thanking me. You have earned this, Kline or not, you are the most talented surgeon that has ever walked through these hospital doors, it would be a sin for me to force you to be boxed instead to one specialty," he returned to his desk to grab a pile of papers before returning back in front of me.

"These are all of the hospitals that want you. Can you believe there's a bounty on your head? I believe somewhere in here you'll see Mass Gen offered you the position of Chief. " he said.

"Are you shitting me? Chief? I'm not even an attending yet, are they crazy, I-I. " I stuttered out, for the second time.

Webber just slightly shook his head with a faint smile on his face.

"They're not crazy, Karma. They are smart. But something tells me you won't leave here...at least for a while," he said while looking out the window.

Right when he turned his head, I could see Cristina and Alex duck their heads down.

He lets out a light chuckle before continuing to speak, "I'm going to Mercy West tomorrow to talk to the potential residents that will be coming here in a few days. You're basically a legend already, I want you to come with me and help me pick who will be coming. You in?" He said while giving me a sly grin.

"Well, as my father would say 'The scalpels the limit', Dr. Webber. " I said while returning a sly grin right back.

•••

"He just offered you the job? I-I mean you haven't even taken your boards yet. That's impossible. I mean I've always been jealous that you've been able to do solo surgeries since like...forever, thank god I always scrubbed in for the cardio cases," Cristina rambled out.

"So you're picking the residents right? Please, please, please pick ones that I can easily undermine." She finished off.

I laughed wholeheartedly before turning back to Meredith, who sat in a hospital bed since she just got finished with surgery hours ago.

"Wait, so what exactly did he say?" Meredith asked excitedly.

"I already told you guys, 10 times." I laughed out.

"This is great, now you can just let me in on all the good surgeries. I still don't understand how you managed to pass every single board." Alex said while coming up behind me to spin me around.

"Hey! Put me down," I giggled out, "I don't know how I did it either. Luck, I guess." I shrugged while coming to the end of my sentence.

"What did your dad say?" Cristina asked, "Knowing him, he's probably on the next flight out," She smiled.

"I still can't believe your dad is Karmen Kline. Actually, I can believe that, I can't believe we all have his number, especially you, Karev." Cristina chuckled out.