Chapter 15: Divide and Conquer

Start from the beginning

"How did you learn all of this?" Allura piped up. "Are you sure you can trust the accuracy of your information?"

"We have a spy in Ranveig's camp who's managed to acquire high-level security clearance. She would never submit information that wasn't 100% accurate." Kolivan calmly addressed her concern and Allura gave a nod in reply, though her lips were still pressed tightly together. Keith rolled his eyes but Kolivan continued undeterred. "There are two Empire Commanders who have learned of the super weapon and are making plans to utilize it for their own glory. Commanders Trugg and Ladnok have blocked all incoming and outgoing communications rendering the base, and our operative, unreachable. The Commanders are ruthless and power hungry; a dangerous combination"

Keith stared at the official military identification images displayed on their screen, one for each of the two Commanders. Trugg was a tall and thin Galra with a shaven head, save for the long front locks that hung over her right eye covering half of her face. Ladnok was a broad woman who appeared to be of mixed heritage, though for her to reach the rank of Commander within the Empire, her 'imperfection' would have to be several generations back, deeming her mostly pure in their eyes. He felt himself scowling at the thought and looked up to find Lance watching him. Though Keith quickly cleared his expression, he had always struggled to maintain the perfectly stoic mask that Kolivan wore so well.

"In order to complete all three extractions as quickly as possible, we will need to divide you into two teams. The first task force is to infiltrate the base, extract our spy, and destroy Ranveig's weapon. This mission is of the utmost importance. If either Commander acquires this weapon, it could tip the balance of power in their favour. Keith -" Kolivan turned to him, a stern look on his face. "- you will be leading this mission. Be sure you do not allow your feelings to cloud your judgement."

"I wouldn't -" he tried to protest but was immediately cut off.

"You have in the past. Remember, the mission is the ONLY thing that matters."

Keith nodded at his words. "Emotions are a luxury we cannot afford." He replied out of habit, the mantra flowing almost robotically from his subconscious. The corner of Kolivan's eyes crinkled ever so slightly and Keith knew that was as close to a smile of pride that the reserved man would give him. While he'd become increasingly more accustomed to the Human's exaggerated displays of emotion, it was comforting to be back home, surrounded by his own people, and his own culture. He gave a curt nod in acknowledgment and turned his attention to the screens once again.

"This is the operative your team will be extracting. Her name is Krolia."

"HOLY KALTENECKER!! You guys seeing what I'm seeing? It's like a hot purple lady version of KEITH!" Lance squawked as his eyes bulged out of his annoying head.

Pidge snickered and Keith rolled his eyes. Arms folded across his chest with a huff, he leveled his gaze to glare at the Blue Paladin. "No shit moron, she's my mom." A round of gasps filled the room; the image of his pure Galra mother reminding them all that, while Keith may appear mostly Human, he's not.

Like Commanders Trugg and Ladnok, Kolivan had chosen to display Krolia's Empire Military Identification Image. She looked fierce, strong, and capable; Keith smiled at seeing her again, even if it was only a picture.

"The resemblance really is striking." Allura noted and her voice, though quiet, resonated in the calm room.

"Yeah" Lance cut in, quickly moving to her side and well out of striking distance from Keith, which the young Blade immediately found suspicious. He narrowed his eyes as the exuberant youth continued. "Guess bad hair styles run in the family, hey Keith?" he chuckled and the now irritated Red Paladin let out a sharp hiss of annoyance. Lance shrieked and jumped back, using the Princess as a shield.