Chapter 7

The next morning, Himari and Taura were walking through the marketplace, planning on heading back out to the fields to train a little bit more. Apparently in this world they had something similar to a guild's request system. People would post jobs on a bulletin board for adventurers to complete. Some were simple errand type jobs while others were more along the lines of fighting a giant beast— and the reward value changed from job to job, the jobs required adventurers who were at least level twenty, and both Himari and Taura were just a few levels under that.

As they were walking, Himari accidentally bumped into someone. Stopping in her tracks, she looked in front of her and a bit down, seeing a boy with slightly curled blonde hair looking up at her with an annoyed expression. Though what caught most of her attention was the bow in his hand that had a yellow jewel similar to the one that was on her axe. Don't tell me this kid's the Bow Hero... he looks like a preteen.

"Do you know who you've just run into?" The boy asked.

"Nope. Not a clue." Himari said with a shrug.

"I am Kawasaki Itsuki, the Bow Hero! Now, apologize for running into me!"

Wow, commanding much? Himari thought. "Yeah, you can stop with that fake air of mightyness and superiority, bro. You're like, 13."

The boy, Itsuki tensed up and his annoyance seemed to of grown. "For your information, I am 17 years of age."

Himari looked at him in shock, This dude's 17? He's the same age as me, what the fuck. She placed a hand on the back of her neck and sighed, seeing that people were starting to stare. "Ah well, my mistake. Sorry 'bout that." With that, she and Taura walked away, not sparing Itsuki a second glance as he loudly complained about her to his party members.

"Alright, putting that little interaction behind us, why don't we train a bit in the forest today?" Himari asked, looking at Taura, who just nodded, a distant look on her face. "Hey, you okay?"

"Yeah, just... disappointed. I had looked up to the heroes ya know? So far the ones I've met have been piles of rottin' fish."

Himari frowned, she knew that finding out someone you looked up to wasn't who you thought they were can really hurt. She was quiet for a second, thinking of what to say to help Taura feel a bit better. Maybe it's finally time. She is a party member and she's shown that there's no reason for me not to trust her. "Why don't we put our training on hold for a bit. I think... we need to talk about something."

***

Himari had lead Taura into the forest— she wanted to get somewhere she wouldn't be overhead. The sun was in the middle of the sky once they got to a good enough place. They were seated beside a river, the sound of nature all around them.

"What do ya need to tell me that made ya bring me all the way out here for?" Taura asked, looking around, confusion clear on her face.

"I haven't been completely honest about myself." Himari said, keeping her gaze steadily on the river.

"What do ya mean?"

"I'm not... how do I say this... I'm not from this world?"

"What?" Himari turned to see that Taura was staring at her with an even more confused look on her face. "From another world? That would mean ya'd be one of the heroes." She looked at Himari, her expression showing that she was waiting for Himari to deny that, or to say she was joking.

Himari stood up and grabbed her battle axe, turning it into it's first form and held it vertically out to her side, she then turned to face Taura. "Let me introduce myself. My name is Yukimitsu Himari, and I am the Battle Axe Hero." Taura stood quietly, processing what she had just been told. Himari just gave her a soft smile, "You always said you wanted to be part of a hero's party, so, well, I guess you got what you wanted."

"I can't believe it. I'm in a party with a hero." Taura said, looking up at Himari with her eyes shining, "But wait, there's no Battle Axe Hero-"

"I don't know why I'm here. But, there might of been a Battle Axe hero in the original legend, but stuff like that gets... lost when so much time passes."

"Well, if it's just lost than we can find it!" Taura said, "As a hero, ya'll be fightin' in the waves, but those don't happen all the time. We'll need to travel for jobs, as well as move to other places to get stronger so why don't we go around and look for the lost pages!"

Himari looked at Taura, her eyes widening slightly before a wide smile made it's way to her face. "Yeah, why don't we do that. Alright, Taura, looks like we're going to be setting out on an adventure. Now, let's get to training!"

***

That evening Himari and Taura headed back to the river to rest a bit before heading back to town. Taura had mentioned that she had spotted some fish in the river earlier so they could try to catch some for dinner. Once they arrived, though, they noticed someone standing in the river splashing around, once they got closer, Himari recognized the person as Naofumi.

"Hey! Ya look like ya need some help!" Taura called out, catching Naofumi's attention.

"I'm fine, I don't need your help." Naofumi called back.

Hm, he's nothing like when I first met him. There's an edge to his voice that wasn't there before. Himari thought to herself.

Taura giggled and took off her boots before she got into the river herself, unsheathing her hunting knife and moving to stand beside Naofumi. "I'm not the best fisherman but anything is better than what you were just doing. Now, watch me."

As Taura and Naofumi splashed around in the river attempting to catch fist, Himari walked over to where there was a small fire set up, and a young girl with raccoon ears and a fluffy raccoon tail. She looked up as Himari approached her.

"Hello Miss." the girl said. "Who're you?"

Himari smiled, "My name's Himari. What's your name?" Himari asked, extending a hand towards the Demi-human girl.

"It's uh... Raphtalia."

"That's a really pretty name. So, you're in Naofumi's party?"

Raphtalia just nodded, her gaze going from Himari to the fire in front of her. The two of them sat in an awkward silence as Naofumi and Taura tried to catch some fish to eat. Himari had never really been good with kids— well kids other than her younger sister that is. She never really knew how to treat them. Does she talk to them in a baby voice, does she try to have full fledged conversations? She had no clue. To say she was relieved when Taura and Naofumi returned with a good handful of small fish would be an understatement.

"Now, all we gotta do it cook these guys up and they'll be ready for eatin'!" Taura exclaimed, already grabbing some good skewering sticks from nearby and preparing the fish.

"Why are you helping me?" Naofumi suddenly asked.

"Why? Well because you looked like ya were havin some trouble getting some fish. As a fisherman's daughter— no matter how bad I might be— I can never pass up helpin someone with their fishin!"

"That's... not what I meant." Naofumi said.

"You're asking us why we're helping you after what you supposedly did, aren't you?" Himari spoke up.

"Exactly."

"Well, Mr. Shield Hero, I like to judge people myself, based on what I know and not some stupid rumor that's spread around town. Especially a rumor that was started by that woman."

Naofumi's eyes widened ever so slightly, "So, you don't believe what the King and Princess say?" He asked.

King and Princess? Wait, was that woman a princess? Does that mean she's the Queen's daughter— poor Queen- Himari thought, clearing her throat when she realized Naofumi was staring at her, "Y-yeah. And I'm sure I'm not the only one out there."

The corner of Naofumi's mouth twitched before a scowl appeared on his face, "Yeah. You might be right. But still, I can never forget what happened to me."

"Ya can angst later." Taura said. "The fish is ready."