C H A P T E R T E N

Start from the beginning

"Mando, she says they'll be fine. Trust me." Reina patted his shoulder. Mando gave up and turned back to what he was doing.

"I brought food. I noticed you both didn't eat out there." Omera gestured to the tray.

"Thank you, that's very thoughtful of you." Mando's uneasy attitude showed again. Reina also thanked her. There was a moment of silence before Omera spoke up again. "Can I ask you a question?" She directed it to Mando.

"Sure."

"How long has it been since you've taken that off?" She was referring to his helmet, and Reina suddenly had a feeling she should leave the barn...

"Yesterday."

Yesterday?...Reina reminised over yesterday before they arrived on Sorgan. He could have possibly removed it when she slept. There had only been one incident where Mando had requested for her to leave. They had never shared a meal together...

"I mean, in front of somebody else." Reina noticed in her peripheral vision that Omera was eyeing her.

Mando walked over to the open window, looking out to the children who were playing around the tiny green baby. "I wasn't much older than them."

"You haven't shown your face to anyone since you were a child?" Omera was baffled, and so was Reina. Mando nodded. "They've been looking after me since I was small. My parents were killed and the Mandalorians took me in as one of their own."

"I'm sorry." Omera breathed. "That must've been really hard."

"This is the way." Mando recited. Omera then took her leave.

Reina stood up and brushed down her legs. "Well, I guess that's my cue to leave. I'll just take my plate and—"

"I'm sorry." Mando interrupted and sighed. Reina turned to face him and smiled shyly. "You know, I don't have to leave..." She strolled up to him to where they were inches from each other. She could see her reflection in the T shaped visor of his helmet. Then, she took her shirt and ripped a strip off the bottom, and proceeded with tying it over her eyes in amusement. "See? I'm blind again."

"Reina." Mando's modulated voice was low. Neither of them said a word in their close proximity. The Mandalorian used two fingers to slip the makeshift blindfold off her face. "This is the way."

Without a word, Reina stormed out the barn to get some air. She eventually ran into Omera, who seem to notice her distress and met her halfway. "I'm fine, I just needed air before we scouted the forest." Reina tried to play it off, but the mother saw right through her, and Omera pulled on her arm. "Come on, follow me."

Soon, Reina sat on a bench while Omera brushed out her dark-brown wavy curls. She had redressed herself in a new set of clothes Omera lended: a dark tights and forest-green tunic with a grey-blue vest with a swooping collar. It had been awhile since she had shed her armor, and for once she felt this weight off her shoulder, literally.

"So how long have you known the Mandalorian?" Omera asked as she combed.

"A little over a week." Reina replied. "We were assigned as partners on a job—a job we both regreted, and we've been together ever since. Travelling aimlessly, hoping to find a place where the little one can be safe. For me, personally, a lot has changed..."

"How so?"

Oh jeez, here I go again, Reina sighed, and proceeded to explain how she used to be blind until after some certain circumstances. Omera moved on to smoothing out the curls and tying a few strands up in ties. "What a miracle." She smiled. "I'm assuming he must've been... happy, for you to finally see the world." She had paused in the middle as if to find the right word.

"Yeah, I guess." Reina half-heartedly agreed. "But as much I appreciate Mando and all that he's done for me, and he says he trusts me...something inside me wishes I was blind again..."

"Why in this entire galaxy would you wish that?"

"Because then Mando would shed his helmet while I'm still present. I won't see his face, but maybe...I could hear his real voice."

"I see." Omera hummed. "Okay, all finish."

"It's beautiful, thank you."

"I'm happy to help."

"Well, I should get back." Reina stood up and smoothed out her new attire. "Mando and Cara are probably wondering where I am so we can start the scouting mission." She laughed it off only to eventually learn that the two had already left without her. Reina groaned audibly and angrily as her fists clenched so hard her knuckles turned white. "You...you bastard!"