ii. running with the wolves

˚ ·. ·
* ˚ ✵
✦ ˚ : ·
.· *
•. ✶
.· *
✵ ˚ : ·

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER TWO... ࿐ྂ

━━  ੈ✩ running with the wolves ˎˊ˗

━━ ੈ✩ running with the wolves ˎˊ˗

SNOWFLAKES FELL AROUND THE SHIVERING PAIR WHO WALKED HUDDLED TOGETHER THROUGH THE WOODS. Juliana held Ciri close to her, trying to keep the princess as warm as possible. The two had been traveling aimlessly for well over two days now. They were hungry, thirsty, and exhausted. But Jules vowed to herself that she would keep it together. To stay strong for Ciri. She had to.

Suddenly, a loud voice harshly cut through the silence, "Princess!" Juliana's eyes widened as she snapped her attention over to where the voices were coming from.

"Princess Cirilla!" Another men yelled, "Come on, now, princess!" In the distance, she could just barely see the search party made up of Nilfgaardian soldiers.

"Quick!" Jules whispered towards Ciri, grabbing the princess and pulling her behind a tree. She protectively hovered over her to keep her hidden, desperately praying that they wouldn't be caught. The soldier's horses neighed, indicating that they were close by.

"Princess! Where are you, Princess?" Juliana gulped thickly, trying her absolute best to steady her shaky hands and wildly beating heart. She needed to stay focused for Ciri—but she couldn't help but be absolutely terrified. When the soldiers couldn't find anything, they decided to move on.

"Moving to the stream! Keep your eyes open!" Juliana's eyes were still as wide as saucers, and the fear still resided in their ocean blue color. Once she felt like it was safe enough to come out of hiding, she helped Ciri stand up. Her gaze landed on a puddle of mud just inches away from them—and an idea popped into her mind.

"Come here," she told the princess, bending down and digging her hands in the freezing mud. Cirilla did as she said and knelt beside her. Juliana rubbed the mud throughout Ciri's blonde hair, causing her to cringe slightly. "This will help keep us hidden." At least that's what she hoped. When Cirilla's hair was covered up enough, Jules then proceeded to cake her own hair in the mud.

"Why do they want me? Why are they after us?" The princess suddenly asked, causing Juliana's gaze to shift over to her.

"Sweetheart, I don't know," Jules answered honestly, "But I do know one thing." She finished putting the mud in her hair and reassuringly looked Ciri in her eyes, "I will not let them take you from me. I promise." The princess smiled softly, causing Jules to smile back. Eventually, the two stood up from the muddy ground, and were back in each other's arms. Juliana held her close as they edged further into the snowy woods.