CHAPTER THIRTEEN - Butterflies

Start from the beginning

            I spit out the orange and stand up. April looked perplexed but I put up my hand up and nod. Within seconds I’m at his table and Bradley, the ginger boy, growled at me. He reminds me of a wild animal who does nothing but growl at everything. I shake the thoughts away and smile at Lucas who doesn’t return it.

            “Hi,” I breathe but his stare couldn’t have been colder. The smile is wiped off my face immediately. “What do you want, Stalker?” He spat and my heart dropped. Along with the confident feeling that I could talk to him.

            Stalker? What happened to saying my name? Or is he kidding around. He’s nothing like he was yesterday.

            “I-,” I don’t know whether to go on or not since the whole tables eyes are on me. “I just wanted to say Hi.” I cock up an eyebrow at his sudden arrogance.

            “Awh,” he coos in a derisive soft voice. “Isn’t that sweet? Well now that you’ve said you ‘Hi’” he continues with his annoyingly soothing voice. “Get lost.” He snarls and stands up.

            I hadn’t notice Jake by my side but only realised when his arm was around my shoulder. My eyes didn’t leave Lucas but he seemed agitated at Jake’s appearance. Weren’t they friends?

            “Luke, calm down, she’s only being nice. You should try it sometime.” Jake teases but I don’t think Lucas gets this joke. He shakes his head and glares at me harshly. “Why would I be nice to the stalker? Just because you’re friends and spend time with her, doesn’t mean I have to. You need to get your priorities straight, Jake. I thought we were best mates.”

            I didn’t like the fact he’s telling Jake was to do. I’m pretty sure Jake makes his own decisions and goes against how Lucas behaves but he puts up with it because they’re friends. I understand they both put up with each others choices despite what the other thinks.

            “Whatever.” Lucas dismissively waves his hand, not failing to send me a glare before he strolls out of the canteen. I also get an unnerving stare from Paige. Honestly, those two were made for each other and I have no idea how Lucas broke up with her.

You know you’re happy they broke up, now you can be his girlfriend.

            I feel as if my brain is a completely different person who is being creepy. Yet I know it’s me thinking it in the back of my head. Would I have a chance to be with him? But why would I want to when he treats me like dirt? I hate this.

***

“That was amazing guys.” cheered Mr. Goodman as he clapped his hands. We’d just performed a scene where Rosaline and Mathew share a romantic moment. Thankfully there was no kissing involved but I have to say we both played our parts well. Of course you really wanted a kiss to be in that scene, didn’t you?

I ignore my own thoughts and shake my head.

Lucas really looked as if he liked me for the whole time we practiced the scene – and that was just for ten minutes, after that the hatred began again.