| 03 |

–switched roles–

rayla and callum are a couple, currently involved in deep combat with the enemy. use your imagination for anything else please, lol.

It had all happened way too fast.

Rayla had been winning.

She was kicking and slicing and punching and dodging--she was doing everything right.

But Viren's men weren't idiots. They noticed everything. They'd noticed her relaxed stance even before she had.

That was when it all went downhill.

Rayla always knew to expect something to go wrong. That way, when something did go wrong, she wasn't taken by surprise.

Unfortunately, she'd gotten caught up in her moment of triumph--something she knew was dangerous, and yet unconsciously succumbed to it. 

It wasn't like she had started a victory dance, or thrown her hands up high with a thundering hoot.

No, she'd simply allowed herself to relax. A single second of lowered weapons and unclenching muscles.

Big mistake. An entirely new wave of warriors that had been hidden advanced on her. She held her ground, but she was severely outnumbered--ten to one.

A few minutes later, it was six to one.

Rayla was completely drained. But she knew Callum was around there somewhere, fighting his own battle. And if she lost now, that could mean his own loss. In her cornered state,she wasn't able to get a glimpse of him, which meant he could already need her help.

His commands of magic were blocked out by the rushing in her ears, and she charged.

With a battle cry, she gracefully slipped between two of the soldiers and held her knives out on each side of her.

Their six was now four.

She circled around to face them, and found two of the warriors in the same position as the ones she'd just taken care of.

It was foolish to repeat a move in the same battle, but Rayla was running on low and couldn't bother to rack her mind for another way.

Just as gracefully as the first time, she maneuvered in between the tall soldiers, this time with the hilt of her knives catching them. She pushed forward, knocking their backs into the nearest tree with a nauseating crack!  

That was the second mistake.

As the two enemies crumpled into heaps, Rayla felt a heavy pressure on her side, and only when she staggered to the left did the pain ignite. It was hot and sent her head spinning.

She glanced down and pulled the dagger from her side in an attempt to lesson the pain.

But it only worsened. It was like a wildfire, searing through her stomach and dragging her to her knees. 

Rayla grunted as she hit the ground. The last two opposing soldiers towered over her, and she struggled to stand again.

Anew wave of pain and exhaustion kept her on the ground, and it was all she could do to block the hits weakly.

Eventually her knives skidded away as the tormenting warrior knocked it from her hands. The other one had been called away to help its allies, and this guy was just playing with her.

Rayla hated it, but there was absolutely nothing she could do. Her breath was coming in ragged gulps, and her cheek was now pressed against the dirt. It all hit her at once.

She was going to die.

Rayla didn't close her eyes when the warrior went in for the final blow, just clutched her side and waited for the inevitable.

Faintly, she heard someone yell, the sound ripping from their throat. The voice was forming a word, but it was distant, and Rayla's eyes were closing on their own now.

She didn't miss the blue flash of light, though. Or the face of the man who had been about to kill her as he stumbled to the ground.

And then someone stepped over her, his arms out in a wide arc, and she forced her eyes to stay open.

Callum was battered and bruised, but he stood tall. His jacket and scarf must've fallen off in combat, and his brown hair was tousled.

He looked amazing.

The soldier picked himself up again, and his friend from before closed in on the other side. 

Rayla couldn't detect an ounce of fear in her boyfriend's voice as he called for more lightening. This time, it was brighter and obviously much stronger. The last two enemies went down with two heavy thuds.

And then Callum was by her side, kneeling down with his eyebrows pressed together.

"This is bad," he muttered, breathing hard and sweating.

Rayla's pain was unbearable, but she paused for a moment to study him. 

He'd grown up. He'd been the one saving her this time, and she was immensely proud.

Callum grabbed her hand. "You okay?"

She gripped him tightly and managed to get out, through ground teeth, "Juuust peachy. But we may need a medic."

Callum gave her an uneasy, lopsided smile and kissed her cheek. 

"I'll get help."

[ 1. 16. 20 ]