| 01 |

– goodbyes

rayla and callum are currently friends, but growing closer as their journey through xadia progresses.

/                               /                                 /

Rayla watched the blazing fire cast shadows on the forest floor before her.

She closed her eyes, soaking in the feeling of peace that had so suddenly washed over her.

When was the last time she'd felt peace?

Peace with herself?

Peace with the world?

Not for a long time.

She'd nearly forgotten what it felt like. Despite the predicament––the pressure, confusion, exhaustion––she held a shard of hope in her heart.

The heart that had been so heavy, so broken.

She smiled.

"Rayla?"

Callum lowered himself down next to her on the log. "Hey."

Rayla poked the fire with a stick. "How's Zym?"

Callum smiled. "Finally got him to sleep."

Rayla found herself looking at him as he leaned against the trunk behind him.

"We're almost there," Callum breathed.

Rayla studied him. "You're. . . sad."

Callum looked at her. "Not sad."

Rayla stared at the fire. She'd learned a lot about emotions on this journey. It was Callum's turn to talk.

He sighed. "I'm so ready to bring Zym home, and end this war. But. . ." He fingered his gloves.

Rayla met his eyes. "I think. . . I know what you're trying to say."

"You do?" Callum's eyes sparkled with hope.

"Yeah. Our travels, this journey––we've learned a lot. We've changed. Life is a lot more complicated then it was before. Once we finish, we might have to face things even scarier than what we've been."

Raya laid her hand on top of his. "Things like. . . goodbyes."

Callum looked at their hands. "Yeah, that's. . . that's exactly it." He glanced at Zym.

Rayla followed his gaze and suddenly felt foolish.

She bit her lip. "Yeah, um, I'm going to miss Zym."

"Yeah––wait, what?" Callum looked at her. "I mean, of course I'll miss Zym. But he'll be where he belongs, where it's good for him. Not to mention that he'll play a part in ending this war."

Rayla watched him. "Then. . . ?"

Callum laughed. "I was thinking more along the lines of you."

Rayla sighed in relief. "Oh. Well. . . we don't have to say goodbye."

Callum moved his hand on top of hers and squeezed. "I don't think that's how it works," he said quietly, giving her a sad smile.

Rayla looked at their hands, and then his face.

Why was she always losing those dearest to her?

The ones she cared for, ripped form her grasp and hidden from her.

"You're right," she said after a while. "But I refuse to lose someone else I love."

She hadn't realized she'd said it aloud until she saw the look on his face.

"I mean––it wasn't––" Rayla stopped.

"Screw it."

And she pulled him in for a short, sweet kiss.

Callum blinked. "Oh, uh, wow."

Rayla looked back at the fire. "We're staying together," she muttered.

And they sat, in a comfortable, peaceful silence.

/                               /                                 /

published : 12 / 5 / 19

[  note that this a fairly short oneshot, and in the future they will vary in length.  ]