When I had finally dispersed the mountain of kids, I unearthed a paint and ribbon covered Blackstar. She was laying on her back, stunned and unmoving. I found myself taking a picture and laughing as she righted herself.

“What the hell happened to your partner?”, Ash asked walking up behind me.

“I have no idea”, I laughed, “but would you believe I didn't do it?”

“No”, Ash laughed.

'Come on my girl”, I said, “let's get you cleaned up.

It took Ash and I three baths, two bottles of soap and forty five minutes before we FINALLY got all of the paint off. Once my dragon was clean, I went and registered for the races. Blackstar and I always entered, but we waited until the last minute to do so because others saw us sign up and would often just walk away. Ash never signed up because Lynx wasn't that good of a runner, in fact he wasn't a runner at all. All of Lynx's strength was in his wings, which is why he was slower to pick up than Blackstar was, but could fly at a top speed much higher than her's, needless to say we've been working on that. For us it works like this. When she trains, so do I. I go for as long as I expect her to and I never stop just because I get a little tired.

With only two minutes to spare,we were at the starting line. The line was bristling with dragons of all breeds, from Puff Nadders to Bone Knappers to whispering Deaths and even someone with a Changewing. Even with all the rare breeds,eyes were firmly affixed on me and Blackstar.

Whispering abounded.

“He's got a Night Fury.”

“Isn't that Master Fang?”

“I thought Night Furies were banned from the Race?”

“Apparently not.”

“Riders,the ref announced, the rules are simple, no flying, no attacks, no special abilities, running only. The race is 3,000 feet to finish.”

The Ref stepped aside, 3, 2, I took the position that I do when Blackstar and I pull Sonic Booms. “GO!” ,the ref screamed firing the starting gun. Blackstar took off. She was by far the fastest one here,but the Changewing was in close pursuit,he was fast for his breed. With 1,800 feet to finish, Blackstar and Hellcat were neck and neck.

“Come on girl”, I shouted, “keep pressing the fight your ahead!”

“Don't let up Hellcat!”, the other rider yelled, “let's teach Master Fang a lesson he won't soon forget!”

Hellcat snarled at us as he gained,Blackstar was having none of it,she was a through bread Night Fury and not about to lose to a Changewing. Blackstar, with one last burst,sped across the finish line with a 640 foot distance between herself and Hellcat. Blackstar panted as I slid off her back and checked her vitals. I could feel her heaving though the saddle, so I had to slow her pulse down. I got a cold, wet cloth from the ref and put it on Blackstar's neck. Her breathing and heart rate slowed and she steadily recovered. She purred lightly and licked me, her eyes were sparkly. I smiled.

“Yeah”, I said hugging her, “your a good girl, you make me proud.”

“Master Fang.”

I turned to see Hellcat's Rider walking up behind me. He was taller than me, about six feet, but then again, everyone was taller than me, even most of the girls at school were. His brown hair was cut close to his head and his freaky, yellow and orange eyes stood out against the rest of his features. He had what looked like a bite scar on his neck. For some reason, I figured the scar and his eyes were connected somehow.

“You've raised a heck of a dragon Master”, he said, “I've never been beaten that badly, not ever.”

“Hellcat's not so bad himself”, I said standing, trying to look somewhat taller than I was, “gave Blackstar a run for her money.”