Chapter 48 - Take Good Care of My Baby

Start from the beginning

“I’ll talk to him tomorrow,” Doug replied with a resigned sigh.  “I’ll make him see the truth.”

“I want to leave!  I don’t want to stay here tonight!”

“What?” he asked loudly, looking down at her with shock.  “You can’t leave!”

“What if he comes in my room when I’m sleeping!”

“Jess, be reasonable.  We can’t leave now.  The snow is too deep to drive.”  Jess slumped against him, realizing he was right.  She was trapped.  “Look, I’ll stay here with you,” he said decisively.  “I’ll sleep in the other bed and that way you don’t have to worry.”

“Okay,” she conceded.  “But I want to go tomorrow!  I don’t want to live here anymore.” 

“Jess,” he sighed.  “We’ll talk about it tomorrow, okay?  It’s late and we’re too exhausted to think clearly.” 

Jess didn’t reply.  She had the impression that Doug meant she was too exhausted to think clearly, but that wasn’t the case.  She didn’t know how, but she had to get away.  She would never live with her uncle again after tonight. 

“Why don’t you change in the bathroom and we’ll go to sleep,” he said, letting go of her.

Getting her nightgown and robe, she went in the bathroom and closed the door, but when she turned, she saw the other door, the one leading to the kitchen, and she immediately felt the fear rise up in her.  There was no lock on that door.  What if her uncle came up the back stairs?  She went back in her bedroom.

“Do you mind if I change in here?” she asked.  “I don’t want to be alone.”

“Yeah, I don’t mind,” Doug replied quietly.  Before he turned away, she saw his sad expression.

Going to the second bed, he sat with his back to her and leaned over, putting his head in his hands.  She quickly changed into her nightgown and then put on her robe, feeling like she needed it for protection.

“Okay,” she said, tying her belt, and he stood and pulled back the blankets on his bed. 

Once they were settled under their covers, Doug reached to turn off the light on the table between them, then pulled his hand back.

“Do you want it on?” he asked.

“No, you can turn it off.”

“Okay.  Good night, Jess,” he said sadly, and then the room went dark.

She rolled over onto her side with her back to Doug as fresh tears pricked her eyes.  How could her life have gone so wrong in an instant like that?  Oh, Marty.  I need you, she thought, her heart aching for him.  If he was there, he'd protect her and make her feel safe, and then she suddenly imagined him making his way to town in the dark, walking through deep snow on the highway.  He was in danger too, of being hit by a car, or of slipping and being too hurt to walk.  What would happen to him if he was unable to get out of the cold?  While she wiped her tears and tried to stay quiet so Doug wouldn’t know she was crying, she desperately wished Marty was there with her – for both their sakes. 

When Jess woke, sunlight was streaming in through her windows.  Rolling over, she was surprised to see Doug sitting on the other bed watching her.  He’d already dressed and the bed was made.  How long had she been asleep?

“Good morning,” he said quietly.

“What time is it?” she asked, and he checked his watch.

“After eleven.  I talked to dad.”  She sat up with her stomach clenching.  “He doesn’t remember last night.”

“What?” she said with shock.  “I don’t believe it!”