Chapter 4: The News

Thank you all for your support again! It really means a lot to me!

I have uploaded this chapter which is kind of the beginning to the beginning... I don't know. I think I may have to come back and edit through a lot of this so it is not so much exposition. 

But for now, read on and don't be afraid to comment!

“Rise and shine, malady.” My maid, Marion, said softly as she shook me awake. I snorted awake, quite unladylike, as she pulled the curtains to reveal the bright sunlight.

I squinted my eyes and rubbed them. “Why must the day be so bright?” I whined. Mornings had never been a strength of mine.

“It is a beautiful morning, malady.” Marion encouraged. She had been my maid since I came to live at the castle. At this point in time, she was getting old, but she was still able to help me get out of bed and get dressed. Her neverending patience and gentility with me had only grown over the years, and I greatly admired her for that.

Taking a deep breath, I forced myself to sit up. “The important word in that phrase is ‘morning’, my dear Marion.” After willing myself to get up, I walked over to the window that overlooked the garden. It was one of the prettiest views of the whole castle, and it was one of the things that I loved about my room. As I looked down over the beautiful flowers and shrubs, and as Marion picked out my dress for the day, I saw Caspian walking around.

It was a week before his coronation and as the day drew closer, Caspian grew more distant. “I see our future ruler is wandering in the garden again.” I sighed heavily.

“He does enjoy his alone time.” Marion nodded and motioning for me to lift my arms so she could remove my nightgown.

I obeyed and glanced down at Caspian again. “He should not spend so much time alone. It is not good for him. Sooner or later, he has to come to terms with reality.”

Marion fastened my bodice as she spoke. “You should no be too hard on him, malady. After all, it is a lot of change that happens all at once.”

“I know. I just worry about him.”

“You are very kind to worry about him, malady, and that is noble. However, you must not worry your pretty little head over him. No use worrying about what you can not control.” I pondered her words as she finished dressing me. Not being in control was something that scared me, and was quite unfamiliar. I could at least try…

When I was done dressing, I told Marion I would go fetch Caspian for breakfast. He would more than likely turn me away, but I could be very persuasive, if necessary.

As I entered the garden, the ever sweet aroma of the flowers filled my nostrils. I stopped for a brief moment to inhale the scent. To me, that scent always made me feel at home and relaxed, no matter what I was feeling. Something that my father used to love, as well. It was as though every time I smelled those flowers, my father was right there, voicing aloud his admiration for natural beauty. When I was a young girl, he told me that the scent of a flower is the plant's way of talking with you. That morning, they all greeted me with a friendly smell.

I brought myself back to reality, and saw Caspian sitting on a bench, thumbing one of the wildflowers. “If you keep fiddling with that, you will stain your hands red.” I said, as I neared him. “And I am not sure that the people will respond to a king with blood-red hands.”

He turned his head to see who spoke and smiled ever so slightly. “It could be the blood of our enemies.” He joked lightly, to which I chuckled. “Why are you here?” He asked.