Chapter 8: About to Change

After my fitful night of sleep, I decided that laying in bed was not the best way to spend my time. Looking out of my window, I could see the beginnings of dawn approaching. The servants and guards would be changing from the evening shifts to the day shifts, meaning that there would be minimal people out in the corridors. I started to hatch a plan in my brain. I just had to see Professor.

I grabbed my cloak and threw it around my nightgown. Even if anyone were to see me, they would have a hard time seeing my face. Concealing my emergency daggers within the cloak and covering my head with the hood, I then proceeded out to the corridor.

As I made my way to the kitchen, I passed by maybe two servants who looked too fatigued to notice anything around them. Magnoralia was one of the head cooks, and had been around since I came to live in the castle. She would often slip me and Caspian treats or leftovers from banquets or let us play in the kitchen. From her exterior, one would not be able to tell how gentle she truly is, with her large and sturdy figure, with calloused hands. But she was the mother of ten children, therefore, she had developed a patience and understanding for the youth.

“Why, hello, My dear Aurina,” Magnoralia greeted me, as I came through the door. On any other day, she would have smiled brightly and hugged me tightly. But she, too, was mourning the loss of Caspian, thus resulting her giving me half a smile. “I was not expecting you today.”

“I just wanted a few things for later.” I replied curtly, but friendly.

“And why are you wearing a cape over your pretty little face?” She asked.

“I prefer not to have anyone gazing upon me today.” Magnoralia nodded, and placed a few cakes in a small basket.

“Take one of these sweets, my dear.” She said, gesturing to her big plate of treats, probably in celebration for the new baby. “It might make you feel better.”

“Thank you, Magnoralia,” I nodded, taking one of the tops sweets. Honestly, I did not want one, nor did I feel like partaking in any pleasures, but I did not want to offend her.

I bade her goodbye, and made my way down to the dungeon. No one glanced my way, or stopped me to ask me where I was headed.

The stairwell to the dungeon was quite the journey. Because it was a place to instill fear in those who are trapped down here, no one ever cleaned or swept or repaired any step. The steps were made of stone and covered in dirt and filth. There were scattered torches on the walls, but provided little light, making you nervous for the next step you take to land on a loos As I descended, I could hear the faint sound of rats scurrying out of my path or squeaking at me.

Blessfully, I reached the bottom only to face a guard that was as tall as a horse, dressed in the dark armor of the Telmarine army. Upon seeing me, the guard stiffened and gripped his sword. I instinctively pulled the hood over my head down further, so I could keep my identity hidden from him. “Who are you and what is your bidding?” The guard's deep voice bellowed, practically shaking the walls.

“I have brought bread for the prisoners.” I answered softly, not out of fear, but to play the part of a servant.

“Who sent you?” He questioned.

“My Lady Prunaprismia.”

The large man eyed me very closely for a long moment. “Make it quick.” He replied, reaching for his keys and unlocking the gate.

I nodded and descended deeper down into the Earth. It was a cold and wet dungeon. Very few torches were lit, nor did they provide much light. Also, the rats gathered by the hundreds down here. Once I reached the bottom step, I glanced back up the steps to see if the guard had followed me. After concluding that he remained up the stairs, I dropped my hood and whispered, “Professor?”