Chapter 7: The Letter

As I sat on the grass shaking with grief, I felt a hand on my shoulder. Looking up, I saw Professor looking down on me with all the sympathy in his eyes. It was clear that he knew the cause of my sorrow. He knelt down and started to wipe away my tears. “I am so sorry, my dear Aurina.” He said sincerely. “Truly, I am.”

A surge of anger swelled within me. “Do not tell me you are sorry, Professor. You told me not to go after him! You were the one who convinced me to stay and look how that ended!” My voice was still shaky with sobs. “Therefore, you do not get to say anything to me.” I knew I was being irrational to the poor man, but I was so overcome with grief, logic did not seem to make sense.

Professor nodded and lowered his gaze. He pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket. “He would want you to read this.” He said, placing it on my lap. It was folded into thirds like a letter. My name was written on it. It was Caspian's handwriting.

I took it into my hands as if I were holding an infant chick. I looked up to Professor to ask him where he got this, but he was already gone. Returning my focus back to the letter, I carefully opened it. I remember every word that was written. It read:

“My dear Aurina,

Professor has instructed me to write a letter to you in the event of my death. Honestly, I wonder if he is making me write this in order to work on my penmanship. Despite this, I will do as instructed.

No matter what the circumstances of my death, I know that you will blame yourself, Aurina. You will feel alone and withdraw from the world. But I ask you, my dear friend, do not do this. I do not want you to spend your days sulking around the castle or wanting to take revenge. Instead, I want you to live your life as you have always planned it to be. Become our Head General or a medicine woman, or both. If you do this for no other reason, do it for me. Whatever you do or whomever you become, do it in my honor.

You have always been the most important person in my life, besides my father and Professor. I am eternally grateful for your friendship and loyalty over the years. I had always wanted a sister, and not only did I get a sister, but also a dear friend. I could always count on you to point me in the right direction if I was having second thoughts. You managed to keep me humble by defeating me in every sword fight, and by reminding me of how very little I actually know about combat. You were the one I could always count on to tell me the truth, whom I could always confide in. But most of all, you gave me your love, and I will be forever grateful for that.

Thank you, Aurina, for everything.

Yours truly,

Caspian X”

As I reread it over and over, I noticed that droplets of water scattered themselves across the page. It was then when I realized I was crying. In a way, the letter helped and gave me a piece of mind. But my sorrow could not be ignored for long, as I reminded myself that I would no longer hear him crack a joke or pull another prank. My best friend was truly gone forever.

As I sat, my mind began to play over the last day I spent with Caspian. Laying out under the stars, tripping one of the easily tempered maids with a fishing rod and blaming it on one of the other servants. But then, I recalled the cryptic things that Professor had told us that night. To trust the stars no matter what. And then, just as Caspian is found dead, he knows to bring me this letter. Something did not feel right.

I decided that I would go to him and see if he knew anything that he was not saying. As I made my way through the castle, none of the servants dared to look at me. They seemed to know of what happened to their Prince, but did not seemed to be effected. Part of me was angry because of that. But I was focused on finding Professor; my anger would have to wait.

However, when I rounded the corner to Professor's room, I saw that he was being escorted out by two soldiers. Miraz emerged from the room not too far behind them. My stomach boiled at the sight of my friend and tutor being shoved down the corridor so brutally.

“Unhand him!” I shouted, rushing up to the four of them. They all turned to face me, but Miraz took his time. He knew that I would not like what was happening and he was reveling in the moment.

“This is not a matter that concerns you, Aurina.” He stated proudly.

“I think it should concern me greatly if you are arresting my tutor!” I said, putting my hands on my hips.

Miraz peered into my bloodshot eyes with his dark orbs. “He is a criminal. And criminals must be punished.”

“And what is his crime? Teaching children how to read and write?"

“Conspiring against the Council. And that is all I have to say about that.” He turned and motioned for the two soldiers to lead the way.

"No, you will stay and defend yourself like a man." I demanded. This forced him to stop and slowly turn around to face me again. The dark flames in his eyes danced with purpose. 

"My dear Aurina," He began slowly. "You fail to see the situation as it truly is. I am your superior. You do as I say, no questions asked." 

"That has never been the case, Miraz." I told him, daring to look him deep in the eye. "And it never will. Even if you manage to crown yourself King of Telmar, you will still be a lowly little worm to me."

After a slight pause, Miraz set his jaw. "Be careful, girl." He  spat. "You may not respect me, but I have ways of punishing you in ways that is beyond your imagination. If you do not believe that I am truthful," He leaned closer to me and lowered his voice to a dangerous whisper. "Why don't you go and ask your precious Caspian?"  

My anger replaced my sorrow in a split second and I lashed out. “Murderer!” I screamed, jumping at Miraz ready to fight him. But two soldiers had snuck up behind me as I talked with Miraz and prevented me from touching the evil man. They were strong men, but I fought back with every muscle in my body. I kicked and screamed and cried out for Professor. Miraz did not flinch or look back at me. Professor did not get a chance to, for he was being pushed down the corridor quickly.

Eventually, my body gave up and went limp. The two soldiers carried me to my bed chambers and locked me in.

I laid down on my bed both frustrated and exhausted. My body gave away to a fitful sleep, as I dreamed of beheading and cutting Miraz in half.