Aftermath

We chased after the attackers and two shifters fleeing for two days. On the third day, we noticed a set of tracks...one shifter who looked heavier than a normal shifted were...as if they were carrying a heavy weight...like say a child. It looked like the council member had back tracked and slipped through the cracks of the attacking rogues.

A feral snarl ripped from behind a set of bushes, but I answered it with one of my own. A large Siberian tiger jumped out and in an instant I was in my overly large panther form. I hissed and snarled back as he growled at me. Kyle instantly stepped up and started talking.

"Council member? We were sent by Blake. We're here to protect you and the child."

The tiger immediately stopped growling and the feral look in his eyes changed to a more suspicious one. He shifted back to human form and said, "Prove it."

I shifted back, "I'm Derreck Berringer...the most feared enforcer the council employs. I've done over fifty missions for you in the past five years...maybe even close to a hundred. I can even prove that its me. I'm assuming you've heard of me?" He nodded his head. "So you've heard of my mate rejecting me?" Again, a swift nod. I pointed to my chest and his eyes latched on to the rejection and replacement mark over my heart.

"Okay...but there could be a number of people with that mark," he replied.

"And how many of them are werecats? Probably none...and if there were, how many of those turn into a black panther as large as mine? None, I can guarantee that. I was supposed to be an alpha of a wolf pack. I'm larger than any other cat shifter, as big as an alpha wolf...and twice as deadly by far. No...I'm exactly who I say I am."

He sighed and nodded his head. "Uh...do y'all have any spare clothes?" he asked with a slight southern drawl. I chuckled and shook my head. "Oh...well, I was just hoping. I guess that means we stay in shifter form?"

I nod. "Go get the kid. I'll carry him. You must be exhausted after these days of running. I'm stronger than you, he'll be but a feather on my back."

The council member looked reluctant, but consented. The boy was perky and babbled on to us as if he'd known us forever. He was cute and petted my fur constantly, gripping it with his chubby little fingers. "Hold on tight."

The howl of wolves echoed in the forest. I looked at Kyle. A silent understanding passed between us. If things got bad, we was to take charge of the kid and the others and get them out of here. I would hold them off. We had spoken of this already so he knew.

We took off through the trees, trying to put as much distance between us and the pursuing rogues. It became quite apparent that there was no way were going to out run them. They were well rested and the council member, Brian I think he said his name was at some point, was not. I issued a cat like coughing bark and Kyle looked at me. We came to a skidding halt and I shifted, laying the now sleeping boy on Kyle's back. "Go. Get them to safety. I'll be right behind you, after kicking these low life's back into their place." I looked at Brian. "We have a lot to talk about when we next meet...like the fact that you're a werecat." He looked at me and nodded, still in his cat form.

I turned away from them and they swiftly retreated, headed back for the Jeep. I crouched and not ten minutes later ten wolves, just like Casey had said, came barreling through the underbrush. The first didn't even make it all the way into the open before my paw shot out, slashing his throat. A strangled howl came from him as he fell down, blood surging from the wound. This caused the other nine to stop and look at their fallen comrade.

Upon seeing me standing over the now dead wolf, they let out fierce growls and quickly encircled me. Shifting back into a human in mid-leap for the wolf infront of me, he yelped in surprise at the force behind the tackle. I roughly kicked him into a nearby tree and heard something snap. A wolf leapt at me from behind, trying to take me by surprise, but I turned and caught him by the scruff and threw him to the ground and stomped on his neck, snapping it and then kicked the body sending it at another wolf who was getting ready for his own jump. It caused him to trip and fall in a tangled mess. I was next to him in a flash, and he snarled. I used this to my advantage, seeing as he was careful and didn't give me an opening to his throat.

My hands shot into his mouth, one pulling the top up, the other pulling the bottom jaw down. I literally ripped the top of his head off that way, surprising even myself at the force behind it. The other six were a lot more weary of me after seeing how easily I took down their companions. Two of them jumped at me at once, one a little faster than the other. I grabbed him around the neck and tossed him aside. He hit the ground hard enough to knock the breathe from his lungs. The other still in the air, I did a backflip, kicking him under the chin, snapping his neck back. He was out for the count before he hit the ground. The other was struggling to rise by this point, but a kick to his head put him out too.

The last four ran off back the way they came, not wanting to end up like the dead...or soon to be dead. The three that were just unconscious, I preceeded to walk around to them and snap their necks with a quick flick of my wrist. All in all, it had only been maybe twenty minutes top since the others ran off. I headed after them as fast as I could, but I felt a pulling, painful sensation in my side. I looked and saw four large claw marks down my flank. I guess one of the bastards got in a lucky shot. I must have been pretty hyped up on adrenaline that I didn't even feel it.

It should heal up shortly. I started to feel a bit woozy...almost as if I was drunk. What??? I didn't drink anything and I know I didn't lose enough blood to feel like this. I sat back on my haunches and sniffed the wound. CATNIP! What? They must have made a paste out of it and put it on their claws before even attacking me. Which means they knew about Brian. Shit. I was about to act like a freaking kitten and if I didn't get the hell out of here, they could easily come back and get me. I wouldn't even put up a fight.

I race after where I knew Kyle, Casey, Brian, and the little boy had gone. I hoped that I would make it to them in time.