Chapter 14: Greener Grass

Monday,
        after school...

Knock! Knock! Knock!

Elias struggled to hold the glass plate steady. It had been a little while, but he'd still remembered to return it. This was the first day back to tutoring Snow White and it was honestly strange returning. He'd almost forgotten how it felt to be on such a luxurious property. The porch alone was more welcoming than Eli's house entirely.

Evan answered the door; a smile growing on his face. "J-uh. Sam--no wait. I got it. E-El--nah. It's Philip, right?"

Eli smiled at his attempt. "Elias." He corrected.

"God d--of course." Evan shook his head, opening the door. "Good to see you again. Come on in."

Elias stepped through the door way, still amazed by their home as he was the first time.

"Cush asked for a minute before you head upstairs. I hope you don't mind waiting." Evan added. "For now you can come join me and my wife if you want--oh thank you." He took the plate from his grasp. "I almost forgot about that." He gave Elias a wink, disappearing off to the kitchen before guiding Eli inside. He was speechless as he followed Evan a bit deeper into the house. He'd never gone this far. It was bigger than he thought. They passed countless rooms before they reached the correct living room with Arlette bouncing Theo on the couch.

"Look who's here hon." Evan caught her attention.

"Elias." She smiled warmly. "Welcome back."

"Oh like you knew it off the top of your head." Evan crossed his large arms.

"Elias isn't even a tough name." She waved him off, shaking her head at the younger man beside him. "It's always a competition with him."

"Psh. Yeah alright." Evan quirked his lips in a pout.

"Darling, we've talked about this." She gave him a teasing look. "Names are not your strong suit. It's okay."

"It's okay." He mocked, earning a snicker from his wife before leaning next to Elias. "Don't let her fool you. She had to have heard you say it at the door--"

"What was that?" She rose a brow at the two men.

"Nothing love. Just telling Elias here how much of a peach you are." He patted Eli's shoulder. Elias couldn't stop the smile from stretching on his face from the action.

"Anyways." Arlette shifted her attention back to Elias. "Good to see you sweetheart."

Eli returned the greeting gesture, joining the two on the couches. Once everyone was comfortable and settled, Evan scooted to the edge of his seat towards Elias. "Okay, so do you think the United States actually landed on the moon in 1969?"

Elias rose his brows, completely puzzled. "Uhhh..."

"Really Evan?" Arlette laughed. "Don't bring him into this. It's between me and you."

"Oh come on, he's tutoring Cush, he's got to be a history buff." Evan glanced at his wife. "I'm telling you we did."

"No, we did not." She replied shaking her head.

"Yes we did!" Evan laughed, leaning on his knee.

"How if there is no wind in space and the flag was moving?" She rose both brows at him.

"It wasn't moving! There was a second metal rod to hold it up, hon."

"I don't believe it."

"Because you're stubborn." Evan said.