Interstellar - The Movie

Interstellar - The Movie

A friend, who had seen the movie previously, asked me to accompany her to see the flick for her second viewing. We saw it from stadium seating on the really, really big screen, the theater on Tuesday night almost empty so we could ooh and ahh to our heart's delight.

Did I like it? Sure, it was great entertainment, with spectactular cinematography by a crew listing as long as your arm and a super soundtrack by Hollywood's ace, Hans Zimmer. With movies or TV shows in futuristic settings or out there in deep space, we've come to expect almost tongue in cheek, humorous fun or something philosophically disturbing. Now I'm no math pro or astrophysicist or quantum explorer, but I thought the movie's stab at all this is in effect throwing a bucketful of cutting edge scientific terms at us, making it seem a lot of hooey to thoughtful or science-based viewers. Sure, it makes a case for love and the interconnectedness of us humans as a solution to alienation, but such things are better done by demonstrating them in a very humanistic storyline instead of simply saying it and equating love with gravity. In other words, too much telling, not enough showing. And via too much scientific hooey.

What the movie does do in symbolic form is to tell us viewers that all our activities, from the momentous to the trivial, seem to be recursive, i.e., they do little more than reflect us to ourselves. This, of course, is a major tenet of the American version of postmodernism. In the end, the movie tried to do too much in its near-three hour run. Still, it was great fun to see Matthew McConaughey, Matt Damon, Anne Hathaway, Casey Affleck, and others strut their cinematic stuff.

My Rating: 14 of 20 stars

Visit my website here. Then there’s my FB Fan Page here. On both you’ll find more on ideas and events that matter to me – and possibly to you.