Chapter 8

"Ok so how long am I putting this in?"

Dewey looked up as Jordan's shoulder leaned against his, her face millimeters away, her brows furrowed in a soft frown as her lips moved silently, reading the instructions.

Against his own will, he leaned a bit closer, reading over her shoulder. "Uh, twenty-five minutes?"

Jordan rocked sideways, thrown off a bit by his sudden movement, but counteracted it by quickly grabbing around his waist, relaxing more into him, "Are you sure? That seems like a bit much."

The music instructor glanced down again at the smaller woman now leaning against him, his own arm going around her to help hold her up, "Yeah, trust me. You gotta roll them, or the bottom gets soggy, so it takes a little longer."

She looked up, her crystal blue eyes slightly confused, one eyebrow raised in suspicion.

A smile crossed his face, "I'm a bachelor who lives alone, I know a few things."

Jordan's lips curved into a smile to match his, "Ok, I'll trust you on this."

Dewey felt his heart skip a beat, she looked so beautiful standing there, wrapped in his arm leaning against him. It would be so easy to just lean down...

His thoughts were interrupted by her pulling away, grabbing the tray off the counter and sliding into the oven.

The beep of her setting the timer jolted him back into the real world, and he sighed.

Malia came back into the kitchen as Jordan turned around, "Table's all set.

"Cool! Thanks chickadee." She ruffled her younger sister's hair, sharing a smile with her.

"How long till it's it done?"

Dewey turned, "Bout half an hour, kiddo."

She nodded, "Birdie, I can watch the corn whatever's, if you two want to work on the desk. I cook all the time at home."

Jordan looked at Dewey, who shrugged, "Yeah we can do that, get it done faster."

She was about to head to the waiting pile of assembly parts when Malia's words sunk in and she turned to her sister.

"Wait, why do you have to cook at home?"

The kid shrugged, "Mother and Father are gone a lot. 'Business' or something like that, at least that's the excuse I get. I'm really good at making pasta now though."

Jordan knelt down, her little sister avoiding her eyes. "Malia, do they leave you by yourself overnight?"

She nodded, "Sometimes. But it's ok, I take care of myself."

Jordan frowned, but a glance at Dewey kept her from ranting her usual choice words about the woman who had unfortunately birthed her.

"You shouldn't have to."

The words brought Jordan's gaze back to Dewey, and his set jaw showed that he was as infuriated by her mother's actions as she was.

She gave him a small smile of thanks, and looked back to her sister, "You don't have to worry about that here, I'm not going to leave you alone, ok?"

Malia nodded, throwing her arms around her sister, "Thanks, Birdie."

Dewey smiled, catching Jordan's eye, and she returned the smile. Then she let go of Malia and ruffled her hair.

"Love you, kiddo. Keep an eye on those, we're gonna go work on the dresser."

Malia nodded, smiling over at Dewey, and the two adults headed into the living room.

Dewey watched Jordan as she sat down, her shoulders tense.

"You ok, Jay?"

A small sigh escaped and she looked up, "She is not going back to that bitch."

He nodded, sitting next to her, and grabbed the instructions.

"So, just tell me how to help."