Oh.

Her eyes wandered to me and her expression did a weird thing. For a second, it softened, but was quickly replaced with angry concern.

She tried to keep her voice stable as she spoke, "Evan."

"Mom."

In all honesty, it sounded like they were about to pull out guns and duel.

"Uh, yknow, I'm kinda hungry? Think I'm gonna go raid your kitchen if that's... uh... fine by you."

I flew past her and went to the kitchen, immediately setting myself down at their tiny little round dining table. They couldn't see me from the living room where they were, but I could hear them.

"Where were you, Evan?" Ms. Hansen said through gritted teeth. "What were you doing out at eight o' clock? With Jared?"

"Mom I swear I-"

"And why didn't I know about it?"

Nod and confirm, Hansen.

"I was at a dance!" Evan shouted angrily. "I was putting myself out there! Is that- is that so bad?"

Ms. Hansen was quiet for a second. "You were... at a dance?"

"Yeah!" He said, " Halloween dance! I dressed as... me. Like always because you never let me go trick-or-treating-"

"That was your decision! You said that, and I QUOTE, 'Trick-or-treating is just kids wasting money to dress up and adults wasting money to give them candy."

Gotta say, that confused me a bit. Because Evan didn't say that. At least, he wasn't the one who came up with it.

I've never been a big trick-or-treater.

Except. That's a lie. I loved trick-or-treating as a kid. Evan and our families would go together. Until 8th grade, when I decided I hated trick-or-treating because I didn't want to be seen with Evan.

"Ok maybe! But you-"

"Off-topic, Mark!" Oooh, bringing out the first names. That must've hurt. "If all you were doing was going to a dance, why didn't you tell me?!"

"Because you always overthink things!" Evan responded quickly. Man, for being a terrible liar, he was pretty quick-witted. "You would've looked it up or asked who I'm going with-"

"And you went with Jared?"

Oooh, that one stung.

"Ye- No, not like THAT!" Evan's voice was starting to sound more and more nervous. Or sad, or angry... I couldn't tell. "He was my ride there and back! It was more of a group thing- I mean-"

A group thing? Good going Evan.

"A group thing?" Ms. Hansen asked. She didn't sound angry anymore, but rather intrigued. "So it wasn't just Jared?"

"N-no, I've- uh... gotten closer to Alana, and- eh- she-"

"A girl? Go on..."

Oh no she didn't.

"No! Not a girl!" Evan said quickly.

I poked my head a little in the doorframe so I could see them better. Luckily, only Evan was facing my direction. He caught my eye and may have smiled the tiniest smile.

"Alana's not a girl?"

"No- urg. She is. Not my girl...friend."

"Not yet she isn't, Evan!" Evan's mom sounded excited now, like she was gonna form some elaborate plan to get the two together.

"Off-topic, Heidi." Evan said very, very, quietly, but still audible.

Ms. Hansen snapped her head up. "What?"

"I went to the dance, and I wish I hadn't." Evan said slowly.

"What... what do you mean?"

"The dance was a fundraiser for the Connor Project..."

"Oh that sweet little organization for that kid who committed suicide? That's awesome, Evan! Why would you be ashamed for donating-"

"Mom, there's something important I need to tell you."

--

haha I'm back
maybe for more than 1 chapter this time?
i rewatched the 1st act of deh and now I'm going through the phase again so have some content.

Published: 4/4/20
Word Count: 1210