Today was different though, he stopped by this little diner in town that his parents loved and grabbed some take out. He thought he would be able to just sit there but he couldn't. Images of his family sitting in the big corner booth kept flashing through his mind. The older man behind the counter knew exactly who he was when he walked in, gave him a soft smile and a nod. Tried some small talk but Derek couldn't mutter up anything to hold the conversation before he blurted out, "you haven't seen Laura, have you?"

She hadn't been there either and Derek was feeling more and more like she's gone for good and it's so numbing he doesn't know what to do.

He grabs his food and goes home, what's left of it anyways.

Getting home he see's Stiles on the porch steps. He's early. He's reading. Derek just drops the bag of food next to him and goes inside. He's not hungry anymore. Honestly, he kind of wants to scream and cry and break what's left of the things in the living room but he doesn't. He doesn't because that stupid glass sculpture is covered in char but it's his moms favorite and the ugly thing survived.

Stiles gave the other a few minutes before he grabbed the takeout bag and walked after him. He set it on the floor next to where Derek had finally dropped himself and sat down next to him.

"You really need to eat, Der." Stiles whispered, "please eat something."

The elder glanced toward him, Stiles face looked so worried that he sighed and grabbed the bag opening it. "I don't want to train today, just practice your shifts." He mumbled.

He got Laura's favorite, just in case. He also got Cora's. "Chicken fingers or Monte Cristo?"

"What the hell is a Monte Cristo?" Stiles laughed.

"Laura's favorite."

Stiles smiled, "do you think she'll be back?"

"I don't know."

"I know it's not the same...but I miss her. A lot."

"She's your alpha. You have a different bond. Not to mention your her first actual beta."

"But aren't you like her beta too?"

"Yeah technically but I'm her brother. It's not...it's hard to explain."

Stiles nodded, "I didn't know her long but it felt like I did. Felt like I've known her as long as Scott." He laughed, "Scott's my best friend."

"Laura's mine."

"I'm sorry, Der. We'll find her."

Derek wanted to deny it but he couldn't because that was too much for him right now. Thinking about having no one.

No one besides his sisters beta.

"Stiles what the hell are you doing!?" Derek snapped seeing that the boy was here and knowing there was someone else with him.

"Helping!" He yelled back.

Derek groaned finding Stiles and another boy standing in the living room with planks of wood on the floor. "Why?"

"It's not always sunny here, Derek. You're not gonna find another place so we should at least fix the walls and make sure you're not gonna die out here."

Derek rolled his eyes, "You're annoying." He looked over at the other kid, "who are you?"

"Scott." He gave the wolf a dopey grin.

Derek just looked back at Stiles with his eyebrows raised, "my best friend, member?" He smiled.

"Yeah and?"

"If you're worried about the whole werewolf thing I already know, Stiles told me. I'm not gonna say anything."

"I want to know why you're here." Derek growled.

"Cause Stiles asked for help." Scott questioned.

"Can't you both just leave." He groaned back.

"No can do, Derbear." Stiles smirked, hugging the older males side, "not till we start making this place livable."

Derek pushed the beta off of him, "I hate you."

"Do not." Stiles sang walking away.

Scott snorted, "you got it bad."

"Shut your stupid mouth, Scotthew."

A few weeks passed and they got the Hale house into pretty decent shape. It could at least stand a bit of rain for the time being without Derek getting drenched. Stiles was quite proud of himself if he was honest. He not only got to spend time with the other wolf that didn't deal with training but he actually got to see him happy. At least as happy as he can be right now. They laughed, Derek actually made some jokes. He opened up and told him these stories about him and Laura in New York. It was nice and Stiles knew his crush wasn't going anywhere.

Then the other wolf showed up on his doorstep. Tears streaming down his face. Stiles wanted to ask him what happened but before he could Derek just flashed his eyes. They were red now. Laura was gone, he got the power by default. Stiles pulled him into a hug, Derek just dropped his head onto the others shoulder and cried.

Derek ended up staying at the Stilinski's that night, the Sheriff was working the night shift. Stiles made dinner for the two of them and they just laid in bed watching movies all day.

Stiles sat forward more as he spoke, "Did I tell you why she bit me?"

Derek looked up from where he was laying and shook his head.

"I fell." He mumbled, "I fell and I hurt my ankle because I was rage walking through the woods. I uh... my mom died because she had this illness, frontotemporal dementia. It's incurable. I found out that morning that I had it too. Very early stages but it was there." He paused, Derek grabbed his hand squeezing it a bit. "She asked if I was okay. I kind of went off on her to be honest. Not on purpose but I was just so angry. My dad would be alone. She told me she could help. She told me not to freak out and showed me her wolf form. Said she could try to help but it could also possibly kill me. She explained how hard the change would be but how it could save me." He turned to look at Derek, "She saved my life."

Derek pulled Stiles down, pressing his lips to Stiles'. He pulled away just slightly, "I'm so glad she did."

Stiles smiled, resting his forehead against the others, "I miss her."

"Me too."

"Everything will be okay, right?"

"I have you, everything with be fine."