Chapter 18

The ruffling of my sheets signaled that someone else was in my bed. He wasn't supposed to be in my bed at night, but Danny often broke that rule.

"Ari," Danny whispered in my ear. "Ari, hey, Ari, I can't sleep."

"What do you mean you can't sleep?" I said groggily. "All you do is sleep."

"That's why I can't sleep right now," he said, running his hand up my arm and over my shoulder, eventually tracing my dangling Star of David as I lay on my side. "Why do Jews wear a Star of David around their necks?" he asked, forgetting that it was the middle of the night and that he just woke me up from a peaceful slumber.

"Huh?" I said. "What kind of question is that? Why do Christians wear a cross?"

"Yeah, but you don't practice," he pointed out.

"I do...a little," I said. "Anyway, a lot of Christians don't practice, either, but they still believe in God and wear crosses. Why are we having this conversation right now in the middle of the night?"

Caressing my cheek with his fingertips, he kissed my bare shoulder, choosing not to answer my question.

"Okay. Let's just shut up then," he said, wiggling out of his underwear.

"What are you doing?" I asked even though it was pretty clear what he was doing.

"Since neither one of us are sleeping right now..." he said. Placing his hand on the back of my neck, he kissed my mouth. We kissed long and hard, definitely not about to go back to sleep. "Roll over," he said.

"Huh?" I replied, a little confused by his request.

"Roll over," he instructed me. "Come on. Just do it."

Reluctantly, I rolled onto my stomach. Hovering over me, Danny tugged the back of my shorts down. He planted kisses all the way down my back.

"Danny, I don't think..." I said, my voice trailing off. I was going to say "I don't think we should do this," but his lips stopped me from saying and thinking it. Snaking up my body, he pressed his naked body against mine. 

"I'm so sorry for everything," he whispered.

"You've already apologized a hundred million times."

"Well, I'm apologizing again," he said.

Without much prep time, Danny eagerly made his way inside me, grunting quietly against my neck. I gritted my teeth, groaning into my pillow.

"Danny," I whispered, glancing over my shoulder, searching for his lips. The pain was still there, but I didn't hate it. Reaching for my hands, he clutched them in his, gripping them tightly. As we kissed, he remained still, throbbing inside me.

"Ari," he moaned into my lips.

"Danny," I whispered back.

As he slowly moved in me, his lips clamped down on my neck, sucking hard; the harder the better.

"I'm just going to sleep here, okay?" he said, resting his head on my back.

I liked him right there. Within minutes, Danny's breathing turned heavy, all of his weight against my back, a sign he had fallen asleep.

Some time during the night, Danny obediently returned to his room. When I opened my eyes, he was gone.

Ordinarily, before Danny's time, I was the last one up, notorious for getting ready for school in ten minutes flat. Today was really no different, except for the fact that Danny was up, showered and dressed and sitting in the living room with my mother, ready to try a full day of school.