chapter twenty-six

t w e n t y - s i x

*

The full force of my family is, well, a force to be reckoned with. The moment I open the door, Paisley explodes into the house yelling about the cold, racing over to the fire as she wishes me a happy birthday over her shoulder, and she's shortly followed by Mum, who sweeps me into a hug. Juneau's next, squeezing me tightly, and Dad brings up the rear with a gentle smile and a less gentle hug.

"Happy birthday, Little Bee," he says, kissing my cheek. "I'm afraid Indy's not going to be here until this afternoon; she's spending the morning with the in-laws but she'll be here for lunch. Apparently she couldn't get through to you."

Paisley catches my eye and says, "Really, Beth, so rude to ignore your family just because you're distracted by your boyfriend."

Casper's eyebrows jump up. Mine do too. I haven't told my little sister. I haven't told anyone. But Paisley just laughs and points and crows, "I knew it!"

Juneau's frowning. "Knew what?"

Casper steps over to my side and now's as good a time as any for introductions. I slip my hand into his and he squeezes my fingers, and a flicker of warmth spreads through me at his touch.

"This is Cas," I say. "Casper. My boyfriend. And roommate."

Mum smiles; Paisley manically grins. Juneau gasps, a proper gasp, and her eyes widen further when she sees Mum and Paisley and cries out, "Wait, you guys knew? And you didn't tell me? I had no idea we were meeting Bee's boyfriend today!"

Casper lifts a hand and gives a little wave, wearing that adorable smile of his. "Hi."

Dad just looks a bit confused. He's a tad slow on the catch up, looking from me to Casper to Mum, and back to Casper. "You work at the cafe, don't you? That little one Bee likes?"

"I do indeed," Casper says. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr King. I know you probably weren't expecting this." He glances at Juneau, laughter on his lips. My older sister still looks totally shellshocked. "Sorry to be a surprise, but it's nice to meet you all, but what better time than Christmas?"

Paisley points at him again. Her and her bloody pointing. "I think you mean Beth's birthday," she says. "It's Beth's birthday until lunch, and then it's Christmas."

He puts a hand over his heart. "Of course."

I chuckle and say, "It's actually Cas's birthday too."

Mum's the first one to snap into action. She bustles forward and pulls Casper into a hug, tugging him away from me. "Happy birthday, Casper! Today really is a day to celebrate, huh?"

"It really is. Thanks, Mrs K-"

"Debbie," Mum corrects. "You're dating our Bethlehem, you can't be calling us Mr and Mrs."

Dad frowns, almost pouting. "My wife doesn't talk for me," he says. "I quite like being Mr King. Makes me feel regal."

Mum laughs and Paisley groans.

"Dad. Don't be a dork." Turning to Casper, she says, "Call him Dustin, like everyone else does, and this one"—she jerks a thumb at Juneau—"is Junie, who will eventually get over her aneurysm. She doesn't like surprises and I may have forgotten to mention that Beth has a live-in ... well, boyfriend now, I guess."

Juneau shakes off her shock – she literally shakes herself, like she has to shed a skin – and bursts into action. She lurches forward and hugs me again, a light tone in her voice when she whispers, "Could have warned me. Didn't even know you had a bloody roommate, Beth! And you're dating him?"