Part 19: The Last Straw

ابدأ من البداية

     All the colorful flowers and positive attitude surrounding you was the complete opposite of how you felt. You felt alone. A single mother, pregnant, and alone. The last thing you wanted to do was celebrate the happy union of two people. You of course didn't have a choice since you had RSVP'd a month or two in advance. It was too late for you to cancel. All you could do was show up to your friend's wedding like nothing in your life was wrong and pretend to be happy. You haven't been happy for at least two months now. That's how long it's been since your conversation with Luke. You were seven months pregnant and alone. You watched with a frown on your face as the bride and groom did their first dance together. "Stop looking like a grump and at least pretend to be happy for your friend that just got married," Danielle said, coming up behind you to whisper the words in your ear.

"Pretending to be happy when I'm not happy sounds like a pain," you replied, grabbing your glass of water and taking a sip as you rolled your eyes.

"Well everyone goes through shit and still put a smile on their face," Danielle told you, giving you a the-world-doesn't-revolve-around-you look. "I love you girl, but you dug yourself into this hole. You either suck it up and live with it, or you do something about it," she advised. Danielle pat her hand down on your knee then turned to shout something at a friend dancing in the crowd. You were a slightly pissed at her for saying this. Only wanting her to be on your side and comfort you, but you knew she was doing what a best friend does. Calling you out and setting you straight. You were being selfish and if you had thought either Luke or Scott were going to stick around after everything you had pulled then you were wrong.

Scott wanted to be with you, but then you had made your choice. Now he was just hanging around because the baby was his and he hated Luke with a passion, so seeing Luke pissed was more satisfaction to him than anything. Then there was Luke. You had dragged him through so much shit and now he was finally taking a stance on the whole situation and made a decision for the both of you since you couldn't make up your mind. "Was I wrong?" you asked in Danielle's direction, gaining her attention.

"Wrong for what?" she questioned, taking a sip of wine and raising her eyebrows at you. Your eyes stared at the glass of wine and somehow you found yourself missing the taste of alcohol.

"I read the test results out loud," you said, "I read them and I said Scott was the father." Danielle's lips pursed at your words and then her eyes narrowed.

"You said Scott was the father?" she mumbled, eyebrows beginning to furrow. You could already tell what she was thinking and before she could say anything you spoke up.

"I think Luke was seeing that woman. You know, the red head that was wearing the fucking tight black dress for child's birthday party," you spat, frown on your face growing even more. "He was probably seeing that woman the whole time he was supposedly confessing his love to me," you said, sending a fake smile in the direction of an elderly couple that had looked your way.

"Did you ask Luke about it?" Danielle asked.

"He said she was just a friend," you told her,

"Then maybe she was just a friend like he said. You've always trusted him what had changed?" You swallowed hard and you already knew the question she was about to ask. Danielle knew exactly what the DNA test results read. You had called her in the middle of the night multiple times about how you were planning on telling both Luke and Scott the news. How much you were excited to have this baby and now, now all you were was miserable because you decided to read the test results out loud.

"And what if he was lying? Ashton wouldn't even tell me," you tried to argue only to have Danielle shake her head in disapproval at you.

"So do you want to be with Luke or Scott? Because from what you just told me Scott is now permanently in your life because you decided to be spiteful and get back at Luke for either being or not being with some chick with red hair." Danielle couldn't believe what she was hearing and she had thought you had better sense than to let your emotions get the better of you. Danielle gulped down the rest of her drink and then let out a deep sigh. "Geez girl you fucked up big time."

"I know I did," you sighed, "I practically had everything and now I just lost it. This baby is coming soon and I'm going to go through it alone." You felt tears come to your eyes and began to fan your face to cool yourself down.

"Hey you got me cherry blossom," Danielle cooed, wiping away your tears. "I know I'm being hard on you right now, but that's only because I love you. Though I don't approve of how you're handling this situation, I'm still your best friend and I'll support you no matter what."

You knew you had to fix things. You had to tell Luke and Scott the truth. Apologize for dragging both of them through the mud. And most of all restore your family. A family you weren't even sure Luke still wanted to have.