Chapter 32: A soldier, a biker, a friend, a partner, a son Pt. 3

Start from the beginning

"Well, it's worth it. This place is amazing." I looked around the booth again, but my eyes suddenly landed on my jacket Levi had placed beside him on the bench.

"Lee? May I ask you something? What's with the symbol on the jacket? I saw you have the same on your own too. "Wings of Freedom". Is it just a random picture or does it mean something?"

"I had a feeling that you would notice it. You're too observant, you know that? You're right, the symbol means something." Levi lifted my jacket from the bench, holding it up to show me the symbol again in all its glory.

"The 'Wings of Freedom' were the emblem of my and Erwin's unit we served in during our military time. We were part of the Scouting Legion, this was our symbol, and we fought for freedom and humanity. Good old times. Besides the 'incident' that left me unable to continue my duty, I had a good time. I was a well-decorated captain, feared by comrades for my hard training sessions and respected by superiors and subordinates alike. Within just one year, I earned my title as "Humanities strongest soldier" because of my ability to fulfill every order with a 100% success quote and coming back with almost no injuries. There were even times when I had fun doing my duty, mostly when I was with Erwin, Mike or my squad. I wasn't so talkative like I am with you now, but they treated me like a family member. And that was how I felt about them. My family."

Wow. Levi is talking about himself. On his own! And from his past! What did I do to achieve this? How did I become worthy of this honor? I am clueless, but maybe I can push my luck a little more.

"I figured that they were very important to you. I'm so sorry for what happened. What about your real family? Don't you have any relatives? I mean...there must be someone you can rely on when I or Erwin are not around."

Levi clenched his fists tightly at my question, his jaw working hard as he looked down to his hands, watching how his knuckles turned white. Shit...maybe I asked too much.

"It's...It's okay. You don't have to answer. I know your past or private life is sacred to you. Sorry for interfering." I tried to smooth the waves and retreated from my curiosity, my body following as I leaned back into the bench to bring some distance between us, giving him the space he needed, but before my back could hit the back of the bench, Levi had grabbed my arm to keep me from drifting away further.

"No...no. It's alright. You are my family too. If anyone has the right to know, then it's you. You belong to my private life too, don't forget that. I'm sorry. I should've told you sooner, but I just...couldn't bring myself to do it. If you really want to know about it, and if I really should tell you, then you have to promise me one thing: Not a word to anyone, okay?"

What else could I do but nod in agreement? Either it's remaining unknowing about Levi's past, or taking the bitter pill to keep quiet about it. An easy choice.

"Alright, but don't judge me for what I'm going to tell you. My mother died shortly after I turned six winters old from a disease. She used to work in a brothel, as a whore. I...I wasn't planned, as you can imagine. Since today, I don't know who my father is, and it's better this way. That bastard got her pregnant, and left without a word, leaving the burden to raise a child alone in this fucked-up world just to her. Instead of an abortion, I was told she talked about her situation with her madame, and she agreed to keep the baby. Me."

It was as if I was hit with a frying pan into the face. I felt my heart dropping, a painful sting inside as it sped up in unease and nervousness. I felt it hammering inside my throat more and more with each spoken word from Levi. I bet that I look as pale as a corpse right now. Levi just told me that his mother was a harlot...a prostitute and his father some random douchebag who did it to break the condom. I had a thought that Levi's childhood wasn't easy, but this?! I couldn't even imagine this in my wildest dreams. I snapped back when Levi used his fingers to gently shut my mouth. I didn't realize that I was gaping at him like a fish. How embarrassing...