"Cracks in the Mask"

Groaning as the door opened and light shined on her face, Avia walked sleepily to the bathroom down the hall. Reaching it and turning the handle as she opened it, she went in and grabbed a washcloth. Soaking it with warm water and applying it to her face, she sighed as her sleepiness faded. Running her face with the cloth again before hanging it over the bar, she looked at herself in the mirror and frowned as she saw Graiden's brown eyes staring back.

"Still Graiden..." She sighed out, grabbing and wetting his comb before taking it to her hair in an attempt to tame the bedhead mess of hair. While Graiden kept it shorter than Avia, who kept her own hair about mid-back in length, she knew he kept it at least shoulder length. Why that was, she didn't know. But she was going to make sure it was combed thoroughly. After about thirty minutes, she finished and splashed her face again. For some reason, there was some lingering sleepiness making her mind a bit foggy.

Going back to the bedroom and changing into an outfit she saw from his closet, a green t-shirt with some jeans, she went down the hall to check on her brother. Peeking open the door, she saw the bed and everything already made. Frowning in confusion, she opened the door and noticed that nothing pointed to Graiden even being here still. In fact, her purse seemed to be missing from its usual spot. 'Did he go with Mom and Dad somewhere..? And why didn't they wake me up to go with?' She wondered, before going downstairs and finding a note on the kitchen table:

Avia,

Your mother, brother, and I went out to do some clothes shopping. Surprisingly, your brother was the one who wanted to go! So we will be gone until about 4 p.m. There is some money on the table in case you wanted to go out and have something to eat since there are no leftovers in the fridge (also because of your brother). But I ask that you take out the trash and kind of touch up the house. It doesn't have to be perfect, but now that you are technically the oldest there is a little responsibility with that.

Also, if someone you don't know knocks on the door, DON'T ANSWER IT! Especially if it's someone in a white coat! That's someone me and your mother know, but we can call them later. Remember, if you are in public, you have to act like your brother. You can mix some of yourself in there, but don't make it obvious that you aren't him, okay?

Love you sweetheart,

Dad

Putting down the letter, Avia stood there a bit shocked. Graiden, wanting to clothes shop? Mysterious white coat man? Shaking her head, she grabbed the 2000 Pokédollars her father had left her and pocketed it. Tying up the trash and putting in another bag, she resolved to pick up the house when she came back. For now, she was going to take out the trash and go get something for lunch. Looking up at the clock before she left, she saw that it read noon exactly.

"Alright. Gotta be back by 2 if I want to do a good job." She told herself, closing the door and locking it with Graiden's key. Walking along the cobblestone sidewalk, it wasn't long before some people called out Graiden's name and waved Avia down by the Hoennes Mare E Terra, a popular restaurant. Frowning a bit, she went over to them but stayed wary. She didn't know these people and-

"OI! Graiden! Ya just gonna stand there or ya gonna take a seat and eat with your pals?" A boy with dirty blonde hair, freckles, and auburn eyes called out with a mischievous grin. Avia mentally started freaking out as she took a seat gingerly. She had no idea who anyone here was, so she didn't have any clue as far as acting like her brother. Breathing and reaching for her brother's memories, she felt her eyes close and her hearing go fuzzy as she heard a faint feminine voice call out: 'Grai, are you okay..?'

And then darkness fell over her as she dropped into her brother's memories. Reaching for any memories of her brother's friends, she saw a few orbs of light pop up and come close. As she touched each one, she felt knowledge and feelings rush into her. Taking a deep breath, she recited back what she had taken in:

"Blonde boy is Treyane Hishok. He loves to be mischievous and sometimes goes too far with his mischief. Has dreams of going to Unova and becoming a chef and possibly replacing a Striation City Gym Leader." She said, touching the first orb that reflected the boy she had first seen at the table. Turning to the second orb that had a brunette haired girl with green eyes, she smiled a little. Avia knew this girl, she was one of her tutors in music class.

"Aria Melodia. Dreams of eventually becoming a famous Musical singer with her Pokémon. Also struggles...with how she feels about her talents and herself.." Frowning a bit, she felt she could relate. Turning to the last one, she furrowed her brows a bit. It was of a boy with red hair that reached his shoulders.

"Tama Shiro...he's a girl...? No...he's a trans boy. Hmm...him and Graiden haven't interacted a whole lot. But they get along just fine so...I should be okay if I just stay polite! " Avia exclaimed, before feeling a jerking sensation and opening her eyes to see Graiden's friends crowded around her, worry in their faces.

"H-Hey! Don't go fainting on us Graiden!! Are you okay?!" Aria questioned, her voice reflecting her worry and concern. Feeling a rising heat and pain in her cheek, Avia looked between Tama and Treyane. Tama reluctantly gazed back at her, before sighing.

"Only did it 'cause you weren't responding ta anything we were doin'. And even that didn' work. Glad to see ya awake though, Grai. Had me shakin like a Burmy in a thunderstorm when ya fainted. I've had those faintin' spells before. They ain't fun." Tama admitted, while Treyane smirked with mischief.

"Ah I knew he'd be okay. He's a toughie, our Graiden. Gonna take more than a fainting spell to take 'im down." Treyane exclaimed, clasping Avia's shoulder and startling her a bit. Taking a breath, she gave a weak thumbs up.

"I-I'll be okay guys. Don't worry." Avia stuttered out, noticing a look of suspicion from Aria which worried Avia. But it was when Aria came over and frowned that made her sweat. What was she doing, investigating? Was it the fainting spell? Or had she tripped up already in pretending to be Graiden and now Aria was suspicious.

"Who are you, really? You certainly aren't Graiden... even if you have his face " Aria asked, confirming Avia's worst fears. She had messed up. Big time. The worst part? She didn't even know how she had messed up. Nor how to put Aria's suspicions to rest.

"I-I..." Avia stuttered, while Treyane and Tama looked at Aria.

" 'ey, he just got up from having fainted. Maybe save questions like that 'till he has time to recover 'is thoughts?! " Tama questioned, with Aria shaking her head.

"This isn't our Graiden guys..." She told them, while Avia began to scream from panic...