Mr. Chairman name drops Mr. Sukizo, who we all know as the Pokémon Fan Club President from the Anime, and Contest Judge. This is another way I've managed to easily connect the different worlds- while Mr. Chairman is someone we see in both the games and manga, he's never seen in the Anime since Mr. Sukizo takes up the character instead. But Mr. Sukizo isn't seen until Ash travels to Hoenn, so it'd make sense he'd be President of the Hoenn Chapter; after all, with clubs like this they usually span to different regions or even countries!

Kari is grateful to have such enthusiastic fans, but they're not the only ones keeping an eye on her. As Kari and her Pokémon leave the pier, two Pokémon are standing off in the distance. For a time, Machop and Lapras will be following closely... Curious about this human girl in their own right and keeping their distance, admiring from afar...

Episode 58: The Right Kind of Trainer

When watching Pokémon it's quite clear that they're aware of their ability to evolve. And they know how it happens, too! So when Kari's Vulpix witnesses a fully evolved Ninetales leaving a store with Evolutionary Stores, she knows exactly what happened! It's up to the Pokémon whether or not they want to evolve... This isn't Digimon; after all, and there's no turning back!

While traveling and Training in preparation for the upcoming competition season, Kari is seen with several different Pokémon. She's still trying to figure out which would be best to compete. There's also been a number of captures and evolutions, so I had to find a way to showcase these while still keeping the story moving and not getting monotonous...!

This also acts as a lesson for Kari and a reminder to readers of the various ways Pokémon are able to evolve: by gaining experience and leveling up, using an evolutionary stone, or rare item, as well as by special circumstances (heightened Love or Trade, etc...). Kari (like we know Ash has) manages to catch Pokémon in all sorts of ways, too. By battling them in the Wild, Trading with other Trainers, befriending them or making them curious enough to follow her, and even as a gift. We see in this episode that the Machop they met and battled previously has been following them all this time! Perhaps it's finally ready to take Kari up on her offer and join the team...?

A couple of other important events occur here: Kari's bike is destroyed and she learns more about the Pokémon not yet uploaded to her Pokédex. When writing this story it was important for me to include Pokémon of different Generations, especially if they were pre-evolved forms of the original 150. I'm a full believer of Training up your Pokémon from the beginning and evolving them to the very end; therefore, Kari couldn't catch a Jigglypuff and later find an Igglybuff since it's apart of Gen II. No-no-no... Kari had to catch herself the Baby Pokémon and evolve it the proper way, even if Igglybuff wasn't apart of Gen I. And the same goes with a number of Pokémon! And, as Professor Oak explained to Kari, this was why Dex didn't always have all the answers. Because they were always still learning and filling it up!

As for the bike being destroyed... So sad~! There's not much she can do when the wily Mime Jr. and Licking duo decide to pull a prank on her! They crash her bike and Kari is forced to figure out a new means of transportation. Of course, she could always ride her Pokémon... Because, riding Pokémon was a -thing- before "Ride Pokémon," just sayin'. Lol

Episode 59: Just You Wait

As apart of Kari's travels I try to include as much of the Kanto map as I can, including those that are Anime exclusive. So while we see Ash & Friends visit Bill's lighthouse/ lab in the Anime, within the Manga and Games he has a seaside villa. But she's not his 1st visitor, we know. He mentions some "minor issues" in the past, meaning to that one time he accidentally turned himself into a Rattatta and had to beg Red to help him! Lol I also want to note the way Bill acts with Kari, specifically her innocence and childlike manner (both a gift and hinderance at times), because it's thanks to her being so open-minded and supportive of his research that really seems to push Bill to keep going. And vise versa, Kari feels inspired just seeing how passionate he is about his work. Nikki, Prof. Oak, Bill, and plenty others will say the same thing about Kari; after all, as the story progresses we see just how deep Kari ends up in the world of Pokémon Research. She's young and excited to learn all she can about this great big world...! Making her perfect molding clay as a budding Pokémon Research Enthusiast...!  

 After receiving a ticket for the famed S. S. Anne, Kari and Eevee are once again headed to Cerulean City riding atop Ponyta! And it's only 2 weeks until the Grand Festival!! As the serious young Coordinator she is, of course Kari is spending as much time as she can figuring out various Contest routines with her Pokémon! I'd like to note here, as well, a particular specialty of Kari's: her agile acrobatic nature. We see in the Anime all the time how Ash just somehow knows how to leap and somersault, as if he's trained his whole life... Kari, on the other hand, actually has! Personally, I know nothing of the world of gymnastics (like proper names for stunts), but I adore watching! Kari was trained during her Team Rocket days and continues to utilize her skills for the power of a good performance! P.S. Don't come at me for my Contest routines sometimes bordering on Showcase style~~ There's such a thin line, but both seem like so much fun and beautiful to watch!

I always have fun bringing my favorite companion back into the story and getting to hang out with Misty before she meets with Ash. Not only do we hear more of her dream to travel to become a top Water-Type specialist, but she hasn't lost any of her desire for adventure and love of cute things. She loves doting on her "little sister," Kari, and going on adventures with her. She's truly one of Kari's biggest supporters, even though there're a few hometown heroes competing this year... Hm. I wonder who the Sensational Sisters could've been talking about...?

Back to Cerulean Cave, keep in mind that this all takes place after Team Rocket's fall. Mewtwo has already been created and has broken free from its chains, appearing in Cerulean Cave where Red and Blaine eventually find it again. It's still a couple years until Ash and friends travel to New Island to meet it...!

Episode 60: Fossil Revival

One of my favorite characters makes an appearance in this episode!! If you have a basic understanding of the Kanto Region map and know that we're headed in the same direction as Pewter City, you ought to know what we'll be doing at the Museum~! Awhile backKari found a pair of peculiar rocks that, anyone with a keen eye should've assumed were Pokémon Fossils. For those of you who haven't watched the entire Pokémon anime series, of just aren't up-to-date on all the series day-players (because who actually is??) Dr. Kenzo is an Ancient Pokémon Researcher Ash meets while traveling through the Sinnoh Region. He helps to create a special habitat for newly revived fossil Pokémon, but there's no mention where he's studied beforehand. Who's to say he didn't do a residency at the Pewter City Museum years before meeting our heroes during that episode...?

Now, although Dr. Kenzo gets as excited as the other scientists about all of Kari's rare finds and them getting to revive fossil Pokémon, there's no actual determination whether this is "the first time." After all, Steven Stone is there. And anyone who knows anything about our dear Hoenn League Champion should know that he also has an Aerodactyl on his Team! From the outfit he's wearing to the researcher's explanation about Steven, we can assume that this is pretty early in the stone-obsessed Trainer's career. It's said that he's a teenager right now and truthfully, I've placed him around 15-16 years old for this first meeting with Kari. This is the first meeting we have with such a prominent figure from the Pokémon World and I'm excited for you guys to see where their friendship goes from here~ especially since Steven has grown to respect this child who seems to have a way with Pokémon. Just as Kari's has a natural curiosity for the world around her, this girl has peaked Steven's interests as well...