ix. repent for your sins

Start from the beginning

"Step aside," Mando demands, his slightly muffled voice ringing through the tense air with cation. Every muscle within his body is tense in anticipation as his mind works desperately to concoct a plan of escape, his hand lightly grazing over the cold metal of his sheathes blaster. "I'm going to my ship."

"You put the bounty down and perhaps I'll let you pass."

Eden slowly makes her way toward the edge of the crowd, treading with caution as she grows closer to Mando. Her weapon is drawn, though it is aimed toward neither him nor the other bounty hunters, for her mind had yet to choose the side she stands upon. For one, the guild had offered her a home when all was lost, and she had been given the opportunity to respectfully retire. But in doing so, she would be condemning the child and Mando, the former for the second time. And the flicker of desperation in his voice as he retorts only complicates her decision. "The kid's coming with me."

"If you truly care about the kid, then you'll put it on the speeder and we'll discuss terms," Greef gestures vaguely toward the speeder in which lies to the Mandalorian's right, though he does not dare to glance away from the metal-clad man for even a moment.

Mando's eyes shift toward the idle vehicle, the navigation droid within it turning toward him, a beep echoing from it. The gears within his head begin to grind as the ghosts of a plan starts brewing, his gaze turning back upon Greef. "How do I know I can trust you?"

"Because I'm your only hope."

Though the action is so subtle one could easily overlook it, Eden watches as the helmet of the Mandalorian turns ever-so-slightly toward her, enough so that he could look upon her. Her uneasy gaze locks upon his helmet, and despite being unable to glance upon what lies beneath the metal, she could feel his desperate eyes burning into her. For a moment, memories flash through her mind; of the child's innocent eyes staring upon her, and the way Mando had practically carried her through the desert when he could've so easily left her to die.

Eden's heart pounds within her ears as the Mandalorian steps closer to the cart, gently placing the baby's small form upon it. The tension among the bounty hunters breaches the point of suffocation as Mando remains unmoving, his muscles tense beneath his armour. In the blink of an eye, he yanks his blaster from its holster, shooting down a few of the bounty hunters before him. Mando throws his body into the cart for cover, the blaster shots unrelenting.

It was as if they were back upon Arvala-7, and the mudhorn were preparing to take the fatal strike upon Mando. Her gut-instincts kick in, subduing the battle that'd be wreaking havoc within her mind. Without the time to doubt her decision, and weigh the consequences it may reap, Eden aims her gun at a bounty hunter with a perfect shot on Mando, squeezing the trigger. Dodging beneath the blasterfire which is now directed upon her also, she bolts toward the cart, the heat of narrowly-missing bolts scorching her skin.

With no time to slow her pace, Eden volts herself into the cart mere moments before it begins moving, the droid steering it. Her body slams onto that of the Mandalorian, unintentionally using him as a crashmat for her fall. A small groan echoed from the man's lips at the impact, glancing upon the woman with a glimmer of surprise brewing in his eyes. Eden hovers above him, her hands placed on the ground beside his head to prevent herself from collapsing onto him. She sends him a brief, sheepish smile. "Hey."

Eden maneuvers her body to instead lay beside Mando, a more practical position, the pair shooting at the bounty hunters in rebuttal to the onslaught of blasterfire that's directed their way. Though luck did not appear to be in their favour, for when a bolt slams into the droid directing their cart, their movements halt. Seizing the opportunity, those in the guild begin to close in around them, severely outnumbering the pair.